As the festival planning committee of the Columbia Heights Day Initiative, a non-profit 501-(c)(3) entity, it is our job to ensure we have reached out to all components of our booming neighborhood to join our annual festival. As you know, the central location of the festival is Harriet Tubman Elementary, just one block away from “downtown” Columbia Heights, but the celebration encompasses far more.
Our central aim is to build an impactful, sustainable community festival that celebrates one of the finest neighborhoods in the District of Columbia: Columbia Heights. After last year’s festival, one which Mayor Fenty called the “most organic festival” he had the privilege of attending, we want to make sure we grow at a reasonable pace, to keep up with our dynamic neighborhood.
We just wanted to make sure that you were given the opportunity to participate and help our fledgling festival by:
- Attending the festival on 10/4/2008, outdoor morning yoga lesson, listening to live music, letting the kids play in the “moon bounce” and other activities, walking with the community dog walk, shop with local artisans & vendors, and visit with local officials….and lots more, with your help!
- Dining or shopping at select neighborhood restaurants/businesses that will be offering festival day discounts and specials.
- Supporting Columbia Heights’ fledgling festival with a monetary donation, tax deductible. (By the way, we’re not getting paid to do this, it’s all for the community!)
- Helping mobilize our community by getting the word out to your neighbors.
- Volunteering and planning for Columbia Heights Day and other community activities.
- Buying a festival t-shirt at our website, attending a fundraiser, or even sponsoring your own fundraiser to help sponsor our community festival!
Your support will not only help make this year’s festival a success, but lay the groundwork to expand the festival in years to come and undertake other events promoting our community’s well-being. We will continue to seek the small donations from local fundraisers and small donors, but it is your support that will make the Columbia Heights Day Festival a success for years to come and a weekend our community will look forward to each year!
Please visit us on the web at www.columbiaheightsday.org to learn how you, your friends and neighbors can be a part of the fun. Please do not hesitate to contact us via email at [email protected].
The 2008 Columbia Heights Day Planning Committee