• Nikki

    Home inspector: Scott Madison. He didn’t inspect my house when I bought it, but I wish he had. Very thorough, and great at explaining things to novices like me. I am considering some work in my basement, and he consulted on what actually needs to be done and what it should cost. I plan on keeping his number around to call him before I consider any major work! His phone is 301-762-2808.

  • jon

    to rent out your basement legally you’ll need two means of egress (a front and back door) and you’ll need to get a certificate of occupany from the city (CofO). I think there is a one-time fee of $75 or so and an initial inspection, but then you are set for renting it out for as long as you like.

  • anon

    If you want to rent your basement you should consult Chapter 14 of the DC Municipal Regulations. (14 DCMR). It is available on line at dc.gov. There are many issues you need to consider to make sure that you do not violate the housing code and potentially incur fines. You also have to file an exemption from the rent control statute with the RAD, formerly the RACD, if you qualify for an exemption. I would encourage you to consult an attorney who is familiar with rental housing law in DC before renting. Rental housing law in the District is different than surrounding jurisdictions.


Subscribe to our mailing list