Photo by PoPville flickr user Clif Burns
Ed. Note: I’m told “if Joaquin wakes up swinging Saturday morning, there is a possibility that the event may be postponed, so folks should check VegFest Facebook or Twitter for updates before heading out the door.”
From a press release:
“On Saturday October 3 from 11am-6pm, more than 15,000 Washingtonians and visitors will celebrate the best of all things vegan and vegetarian in and around the nation’s capital. This year’s DC VegFest promises to be the biggest and best yet with more food vendors, a larger Barking Lot for dogs, a bigger Kid’s Area with a moon bounce, and inspiring, informative speakers including Gene Baur, from Farm Sanctuary, the award winning chefs from Vedge restaurant, and vegan ultra athlete Rich Roll. The highly anticipated emcee is the awardwinning television journalist and bestselling author Jane VelezMitchell.
“This year’s DC VegFest will be an action packed plant based celebration with even more delicious food vendors, free samples, dynamic speakers, an interactive kids’ area, live music and more,” says Erica Meier, Executive Director of Compassion Over Killing. “Bring the whole family including your furry four legged friends for a fun and festive day!”
During this daylong celebration, more than 125 exhibitors, partners, and sponsors will showcase a wide range of products, services and resources to help Washingtonians discover the joys and benefits of plantbased eating for our health, the planet and animals.
VegFest will take place at Yards Park, corner of N & 1st Sts SE, Washington, DC.
VegFest attendees will have the opportunity to:
● Sample free delicious vegan cuisine
● Learn from expert chefs hosting cooking demos
● Meet adoptable animals from the Washington Humane Society
● Hear from nationally renowned speakers (ASL interpreters will be on the main stage)
● Enjoy live performances from local musicians
● Participate in the Kids’ Activity Area featuring our popular “Ask a Vegan Family” panel and kidfriendly cooking demonstrations
● Relax in the beer garden sponsored by Busboys & Poets
Organized by Compassion Over Killing, the DC VegFest highlights the many benefits and flavors of vegetarian eating and shows how easy and delicious it is to choose healthier, more sustainable, and kinder foods. Attendees will enjoy free food samples along with nearly two dozen food vendors including Vegan Treats, Woodlands Vegan Bistro, Equinox Restaurant, Amsterdam Falafelshop, Vegetable Garden, Sticky Fingers and Fare Well.
● Gene Baur Cofounder of Farm Sanctuary and author of the new “Living the Farm Sanctuary Life”
● Chefs Richard Landau and Kate Jacoby coowners of Vedge Restaurant
● DJ Cavem and Alkemia Earth—Culinary Concert performers and Founders of EcoHip
● Rich Roll World renowned plant based ultraathlete and author
● Dr. Aysha Akhtar Author, neurologist, and public health specialist
Attendees can peruse exhibitor booths from such animal friendly organizations and companies as Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps, Roots Market, Way Better Snacks, The Fanciful Fox, Kate Bakes, the Humane Society of the United States, Relay Foods, Plant Fusion, Upton’s Naturals, Undone Chocolate, and PETA.
The event is free and open to everyone, and the first 1,000 attendees get a free 2015 commemorative DC VegFest tote bag loaded with vegfriendly products, coupons and more!
DC VegFest was originally founded by the Vegetarian Society of DC and has been organized by Compassion Over Killing since 2009.
More details at DCVegFest.com.”