Man Who Plead Guilty to Armed Robbery, Stealing Dog From Woman at Gunpoint Gets 4 Years

by Prince Of Petworth May 21, 2013 at 1:30 pm 23 Comments

Photo by PoPville flickr user KJinDC

Back in March we learned about the hapless criminal who stole a dog at gunpoint and then dropped his phone while the dog escaped and ran home…

He was sentenced to a four-year prison term.

From MPD:

Christopher Young, 18, of Washington, D.C., was sentenced today to a four-year prison term on a charge of armed robbery stemming from an attack in which he stole a dog from a woman at gunpoint, U.S. Attorney Ronald C. Machen Jr. announced.

Young pled guilty in March 2013 in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia. He was sentenced by the Honorable Robert I. Richter. Upon completion of his prison term, Young will be placed on five years of supervised release.

According to the government’s evidence, on Jan. 5, 2013, at about 10:35 a.m., Young approached a woman who was walking her Yorkshire Terrier in the area of Fifth and Kennedy Streets NE. Young displayed a handgun and said, “Give me your dog. Yorkies cost a lot of money.” He then grabbed the victim’s dog and ran toward Chillum Place NE.

The victim, who yelled for help, noticed that Young dropped his phone on Kennedy Street directly next to where the dog’s leash had dropped. While Young continued running, the dog escaped and ran to its home. Officers with the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) determined that the dropped phone belonged to Young, and learned that he had a GPS device on his ankle. Police obtained Young’s GPS records, which placed him directly in the area of 5th and Kennedy at the time of the robbery as well as in the flight path described by witnesses.

In announcing the sentence, U.S. Attorney Machen commended those who investigated the case from the Metropolitan Police Department. He also acknowledged the efforts of those who worked on the case from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, including Paralegal Specialist Debra McPherson and Assistant U.S. Attorney Natalia Medina, who prosecuted the case.


Subscribe to our mailing list