wood moulding stripping?

Home Forums Home and Garden wood moulding stripping?

Topic: wood moulding stripping?

Home and Garden April 25, 2012 at 2:50 pm

wood moulding stripping?

The hunderd-year old mouldings around the windows and doors in my house have been painted over so many times that the details are obscured by the layers of paint – the paint is about 3/8″ thick in some places.  Have any of you succeeded in removing so many layers of paint?  I have tried peel away without great success.  Could you recommend a contractor to strip the wood?  Would it make more sense to remove the moudlings and send the pieces to a professional wood stripper? 

2 Replies Add Reply

There’s no easy answer:
Generally if you hire a contractor you will pay per man per hour on the job.  Whether they use a harsh chemical or a heat gun this will create heavy toxic fumes during the process.  If you insist on using a natural stripper you will have to refinace to pay for this. . .  🙂
Pulling the trims:
You or your contractor have to pay attention when doing this.    Some trims are delicate and can splinter during the removal.  Also you should mark trim sets so they are easier to reassemble once stripped.  Lastly sometimes the plaster will pull away with the trim and thus causing a domino effect with surrounding plaster.
If you do pull the trim, here’s a link to probably the only paint stripping shop in DC.  Note: Mr. Reed the owner is cantankerous.  He wil give general upfront pricing which is good.  However he is ALWAYS busy and you will receive minimum attention.
Best of Luck

For a stripping place to take it other than the stripping workshop, I used chemstrip down in MD by the beltway (www.chemstripmd.com) for doors, balusters, and such.

You may also want to look at replacing the trim with new trim of the same style. We were able to find a match at smoot lumber (http://www.smootlumber.com/). It looks great (original) and didn’t involve a ton of lead paint work. It may also be cheaper at the end of the day. One caveat – we painted the trim white in most areas. If you want to stain / varnish, the original wood was much nicer than the new stuff that we bought (grain / quality).

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or