Why is there not more concern over the proposed water project at the McMillan site?

Home Forums General Discussion Why is there not more concern over the proposed water project at the McMillan site?

Topic: Why is there not more concern over the proposed water project at the McMillan site?

General Discussion December 10, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Why is there not more concern over the proposed water project at the McMillan site?

As a resident of Stronghold I am concerned that the just-announced massive water project that will be taking place over the next few years on 1st street in Bloomingdale and on the McMillan site will negatively effect the development plans for the site. When there has been so much wrangling over use of the McMillan site for development there was no public input whatsoever on the water project; why? Also, the Mayor’s press release stated that there would be no impact on the McMillan development, but an email today by the project developers suggests that there will be an impact; who is correct? 
Considering the hundreds of millions of dollars at stake for the city, the development of a prime, DC-owned parcel of land and the impact on residents of Stronghold, Brookland and Bloomingdale it seems crazy that there is not more information on this in the public. I suppose that my question is one of why no one seems to be paying attention to the water project when it may have such a massive effect on so many people. 

3 Replies Add Reply

I, too, live in the McMillan area. How can I learn more about the water project proposal?

There was a people’s assembly a few months back organized by OccupyDC… 50 community groups were present, one of them was Friends of McMillan… Just relaying info here for those concerned:

Friends of McMillan Park

http://www.friendsofmcmillan.org

A group of community volunteers who are in support of sustainable development and what is needed over the
longer term for McMillan Park and Washington, DC. We believe historic preservation and sustainability go hand in
hand and would like to see McMillan set a high standard as a great metropolitan park of the 21st century. Our goals
are to preserve the existing greenspace and defend McMillan against incompatible development, create a
development plan that meets the neighborhood needs while preserving the environment, create a community and
park designed to serve as a model for environmental sustainability & smart growth, improve quality of air & water
through provisions for planting trees, greenspace protection & transportation, and have public participation as an
integral part in designing the master plan. There is a Historic Preservation Board hearing on July 12 th.

NEEDS: Volunteers, donations, community outreach, submit your ideas

friendsofmcmillan@gmail.com

From what I can tell, it first came up in a DC council meeting at September, when residents were testifying about flooding in Bloomingdale: http://wapo.st/VJC4Or

Greater Greater Washington’s posts about McMillan show a good timeline (and show how there is no one solid idea of what’s going on at the site): http://greatergreaterwashington.org/tag/McMillan+site/

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or