Where can I find our first family pet?

Home Forums General Discussion Where can I find our first family pet?

Topic: Where can I find our first family pet?

General Discussion September 25, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Where can I find our first family pet?

We’re looking for a new mini dachshund puppy! Where can I find one of these little guys? We’re pretty specific in what we’re looking for: female puppy, mini or “tweeny,” short haired, brown or black-and-tan coat
All you dachshund owners, please help me out! I’ve contacted a few breeders, but haven’t heard a peep. Any and all recs within a few hours’ drive would be much appreciated.
Note: We’ve talked about adopting a rescue, and we though we haven’t ruled it out 100%, we are first time dog owners and, for our first dog at least, we’re pretty sure we want to go with a “known entity” (young dog with papers, documented family history and temperment, clear medical history, etc.) if that makes sense.

10 Replies Add Reply

No.. It doesn’t make sense.
There are tons of dogs in shelters (including puppies of the age you are looking for) who would love to be a part of your family for the rest of their lives. I agree with the above, perhaps look into a rescue organization. Be part of the solution, instead of the problem. Also off my soapbox now. Dogs are awesome. They are terrific family members.

Ok, while I really do appreciate the input, again, I am NOT looking for a rescue! I have looked into local doxie rescues, but as I said above, we have very specific criteria — puppy, female, short coat, mini or “tweenie”…. In the DMV, there are ZERO rescue dogs that match, as far as I’ve found. We have found one or two matches in the past, but they had additional medical/environmental needs that we could not meet in our home.
Other recs?

I’m not sure if the dachshund-specific rescues list via Petfinder, but these are the dachshund and dachshund mixes in the area: http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?pet_breed=Dachshund&animal_type=Dog&location=20010 .
This doxie mix puppy girl is a cutie:  http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24079261 .
This puppy looks to meet CoHiGirl’s specs exactly:  http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23954814 .

You say you don’t want a rescue, but I don’t care: get a rescue. The Washington Animal Rescue League (warl.org) is far and away the best facility of its kind in the region. We went 7-8 times, looking for the right dog, and we finally found him. It might require multiple visits to find your match, but it will happen eventually.

FWIW, my sister has two dogs she got from breeders, and she has had to spend thousands of dollars on training, while my wife and I have an amazingly disciplined, intelligent, and loving rescue.

If your requirements for a dog are so specific that you absolutely cannot find a rescue or shelter dog that will work, then maybe it isn’t in the cards for you to handle a dog right now.

Cohigirl, I have no idea where you got your information that a “breeder” dog will fit your needs.  Purebreds have many more health problems than mixes, with lots of congenital problems. (Even rescued purebreds have health issues!).  Puppy mill conditions, inbreeding, and all sorts of other problems plague purebreds. 
I completely agree with the comments about adults and fosters.  Training a puppy is a ton of work, and you have no idea what they’ll be like as adults.  And fosters are vetted, so you already know if the dog is good with kids (small dogs can nip and bite as much as big dogs), is a barker, is housebroken, etc.  Though granted my current Akita was a handful in foster care and has turned out to be a tremendously gentle and lazy dog, so sometimes you have to take a risk!  But with so many homeless dogs being killed each day, it’s unconscionable to not adopt a shelter or rescue dog.
FWIW if you’re worried about shedding, don’t be fooled by the short hair.  Those little hairs get everywhere.

I think folks are being a bit tough on the OP (though I definitely understand where y’all are coming from).

The size of the dog is an important issue, so I can understand why a purebred would be a “known quantity” in that area.  But at least via rescue groups (maybe less so at a shelter?). there seem to be many mixed-breed puppies that are mixes of two (or more) small breeds, and are virtually guaranteed to grow up into small dogs.

Raising a puppy is hard work, and I can understand why a first-time dog owner would want to reduce uncertainties as much as possible.  But I think a small mixed-breed or purebred from a foster environment might be an excellent bet.  Rescue groups really make an effort to get a good sense of their animals’ temperaments and to make sure that the animal and its forever home will be a good match.

I would also say look into fostering before you jump right in. It’s the best way to find out how you will actually handle a puppy–and a dog in general. My bf and I adopted a purebred in December, and in his first 6 months of life he cost us more than $2,500. He just had health problems–and we didn’t forsee any of these expenses. My sister has a brother of our dogs from the same litter, and his health problems are even worse. We also know that he came from good bloodlines, and were able to meet his mom–and had health information about his parents, and both sets of grandparents. It still didn’t make a difference!
I would say try out fostering first–and then rescue a smaller dog. They are out there! Look at shelters around the east coast–there are so many different dogs that are surrendered, just because the previous owners either couldn’t keep them, or wouldn’t keep them. And, if you are set on having a puppy, you may find one that’s right for you. City Dogs Rescue is a great organization within DC http://www.citydogsrescuedc.org
Good luck!

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or