What to do with a cat that consistently pees all over house? At wits end!

Home Forums General Discussion What to do with a cat that consistently pees all over house? At wits end!

Topic: What to do with a cat that consistently pees all over house? At wits end!

General Discussion June 2, 2014 at 2:25 pm

What to do with a cat that consistently pees all over house? At wits end!

We have an 11 year old cat that for the past 2+ years has been consistently peeing all over the house. We have tried everything we can think of to stop it. He has been checked out by two vets and there doesn’t appear to be any underlying medical condition. We’ve tried all the tips and tricks the vet and internet blogs have suggested. We keep a clean litter box in a private place, we’ve used heavy duty cat urine removers to try and remove the smell and applied special sprays that are supposed to stop a cat from peeing. We give him lots of attention. But nothing is helping. I am sick of cleaning up after it and having my house destroyed not to mention the sanitation concerns considering we have 2 small children. But, what can we do? Take him to a shelter? Who wants an 11 year old cat who pees everywhere? Taking him there is basically akin to getting him put to sleep and it makes me sick to my stomach to think about it.

By all other counts he is a great cat and maybe if he was in a home without the stress of young kids he wouldn’t do it anymore. We’ve tried for months to locate a new home or situation for him with no luck. The final straw was this weekend when we paid a professional service to come and clean all of the carpets and furniture in our house in advance of house guests and he proceeded to pee all over the carpet moments after they left. Has anyone been in this situation before and what did you do? We are at our wits end.

9 Replies Add Reply

Re: special sprays, did you try Feliway?

Hi, thanks, we did and didn’t seem to do anything. :-/

Oh dear — well, I know someone else who was in the situation and they a) changed the cat’s litter brand and b) added another litter box in the house (our cats love World’s Best Cat Litter). The Feliway takes a few weeks to kick in (at least the one you can plug in) and it helps if the windows are closed too.

Please don’t give up your cat though! It just needs some love and gentle reminding that it can’t pee every which way — I’m sorry though, it sounds very frustrating!

Try changing food. It made a HUGE difference to our cat who had intestinal issues, and the vet told me that food issues can irritate the bladder too.

You may want to listen to the May 31st episode of the Animal House for suggestions about inappropriate elimination issues (link to transcript below). It includes litter and litter box recommendations, but also a suggestion for Prozac. I know many people who have been hesitant to medicate their pet, but found that it was a successful move. Because you’re right, it will be very difficult for a cat with this issue to find a new home until the issue is resolved.
I would also restrict his access to most of the house for now, if you aren’t already. Wishing you the best of luck!

Also just want to add that the Washington Animal Rescue League has a helpline that you can call or email. They’re a great resource to take advantage of:

I had something similar happen many years ago with my cat. At that time someone recommended using a dog type crate to contain the cat and the litter box. Luckily I also had a large lab mix and hence, a large dog crate to use. I really didn’t hold out much help but it worked wonders to retrain the cat. She would stay in there unless I could directly supervise her. I’m not sure how she became untrained but like in your case, there were no medical issues (or new stressors, food changes, etc). It might be worth a try (if you haven’t already). I think I did it for about two weeks…can’t quite remember that detail but it surprised me how quickly it seemed to work.

Good luck!

Thank you for the suggestions. We have tried new foods recommended by the vet, trying new litter and litter boxes, etc but haven’t yet tried the Prozac route. I’ll talk to our vet about that option.

Have you already tried adding additional litter boxes? (I see you mention “trying new litter and litter boxes,” but I’m not sure if that meant adding additional ones or swapping out one litter box for another.) Not sure if that would help — this sounds like a pretty complex problem — but it couldn’t hurt.
You mention that this behavior has been going on 2+ years and that you have two small children… did the behavior start when the first (or second) child was born? Or began to walk?

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or