What is the origin of the name for Petworth?

Home Forums Real Estate What is the origin of the name for Petworth?

Topic: What is the origin of the name for Petworth?

Real Estate December 17, 2012 at 2:03 pm

What is the origin of the name for Petworth?

Does anyone know how the neighborhood of Petworth got its name?  According to Wikipedia, there is a small town in southern England called Petworth, but I have not been able to find any information identifying said town as the neighborhood’s namesake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petworth

6 Replies Add Reply

I was just thinking of that this morning!

safsaf

Thanks, saf.  One of the articles proves the connection between the neighborhood in DC and the small English town: “He named the farm Petworth after the English Sussex town and estate.”

Anonymous

I always thought it was because the mayor had a very valuable dog for which everyone asked him how much he paid for it.

All of which is interesting because the estate was known as “Padworth.” That might have been an alternate spelling, as names and spellings seem to have been kinda squishy in the pre-dictionary age. But I do believe that the name evolved from Padworth to Petworth. Interestinger still is the fact that Petworth and Padworth look to be only thirty-some miles apart over in jolly old England. More research is needed. The IWWL history linked to above is pretty detailed, but is all from secondary sources, which are a great source of history, both correst and incorrect.

Petworth is a small town in the south of England in the county of West Sussex. The town has been settled since at least Norman times and it is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. The town is host to the magnificent Petworth House . The gardens of this stately home are known as Petworth Park and are the work of world-famous landscape artist Capability Brown . Petworth House and Park have been in the care of the National Trust since 1947.   http://www.homescoloradosprings.com

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or