What Caribbean Island to visit

Home Forums Travel and Transportation What Caribbean Island to visit

Topic: What Caribbean Island to visit

Travel and Transportation May 7, 2013 at 9:51 pm

What Caribbean Island to visit

Hi Popville,

My boyfriend & I are planning a trip to the Caribbean some time in mid-July & have no idea which island to visit. We don’t dive, but are really into snorkeling and would like a place with sandy beaches, a laidbacked feel, beautiful scenery, and maybe a few adventures.

We would like good food options, but don’t mind if there is a ton of nightlife or not.

5 Replies Add Reply

My wife and I went to Curacao for our honeymoon and loved it.  The island doesn’t suffer from the crushing poverty or crime that affects so much of the Caribbean, so you can go just about anywhere and not worry about getting hassled or being confined to a resort.  Likewise, when at the beach, no one is coming up and trying to sell you trinkets and chotchkes or back rubs. We rented a car for the week and went just about everywhere on the island. Excellent restaurants, from high end to no frills, and the water out of the tap is perfectly safe to drink.  

So I have 3 recommendations:  My favorite island is Aruba as it is out of the hurricane path so you never have to worry about the weather but it is HOT! Great snorkeling off the coast and very low key. You don’t need an all inclusive if you stay near Palm/Eagle Beach as there is a strip of stores and restaurants all walkable. We biked all over the island.  My 2nd is Playa del Carmen in Mexico.  You can stay on an all inclusive but we actually rented a timeshare and then on a different trip a villa (was cheaper than the all inclusive!). Playa has tons of restaurants and shops and is an easy ferry ride to Cozamel where you can rent scooters or just snorkle.  I love Playa best as it’s an easy day trip base for excursion to Mayan ruins.
My 3rd pick would be the Caymans (including little Cayman & Cayman Brac) as the water there is unbelievable and you can do snorkle trips that include trips to the stingray sandbar. If you stay on Seven Mile Beach you can walk among the resorts but it’s not as easy to get around (need to get a taxi to the downtown shopping/restaurants) and when the cruise ships are in port it is packed. But the water is beyond gorgeous! 

Dominica. It’s worth it. Very inexpensive, very small, but a ton to do. Absolutely the happiest people I’ve met in my travels.

I’ve only been to Belize, Caye Caulker and Caye Ambergris, and loved it. Nice and laid back, not too expenisive, they take US money & speak English so it’s easy to get around, snorkling and parasailing are there. On Thursday nights at the Spin drift hotel in San Pedro you can go to the “World Famous Chicken Drop”! I stayed at that hotel, but missed the Chicken Drop. You can also stay at fancier hotel/resort places. I was only there for a weekend, but there are lots of other fun things to do that I didn’t have time for.
Also, if you go to the bar attached to the Spin Drift aks for the bartender Bling, he knows everyone on the island and can hook you up with good deals. (My aunt was in the Peace Corps there and he was her favorite bar tender.)

Thanks to all of you for the recommendations. It seems hard to choose, but I also figure you can’t go too wrong. Also, what is a chicken drop?!?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or