Water Damage- Need Advice

Home Forums General Discussion Water Damage- Need Advice

Topic: Water Damage- Need Advice

General Discussion December 19, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Water Damage- Need Advice

I will give a brief overview because I am not sure what to do or how to proceed (or if there are any other actions that I can take). In October, I discovered the ceiling of my roof was leaking and I filed a maintenance report and was informed the issue had been resolved. In November, the leak reappeared to the point where it soaked through my pillow and onto my bed. I filed another report and maintenance came in and inspected. Early December, it happened again and since this time I have moved my bed to prevent water damage. My bed is now blocking entry to my closet. I followed up and was informed that they were working to determine from where the leak originated. Essentially the management reported that it was not the roof leaking; however, the ceiling in my apartment is still damaged; there are several water stains and the ceiling is cracking. I recounted the incidents in written form to my landlord and the response was “we are working to resolve the matter and the roof is not the issue.” I appreciate that the matter is “being worked on.” Nevertheless, this has been ongoing since the beginning of October and for the past three weeks my bed has been inside of my closet. I am trying to determine what my course of action should be. I know by DC standards the issue must be addressed but I am wondering if there is a clause that states it must be within a timely manner. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

2 Replies Add Reply

Ugh I’m sorry, that stinks! This is eerily reminiscient of what happened to me a couple of years ago, except the flooding was through the floor (I was in the basement). My mattress was on the floor, and I noticed that the side of the bed was wet. That was when I discovered that the entire back corner of my room was soaking wet – from the carpet to anything that was sitting on the carpet. I immediately called my landlord, and to his credit, was very responsive in getting a water remediation team in there. However, despite multiple fixes, the flooding continued over the course of 8 weeks. It got so bad that I had to sleep on the sofa in the living room because it was either the moldy smell, the industrial fans, or exposed concrete that made it uninhabitable. I threatened to withhold rent unless the problem was solved. We worked out a compromise that he would install a sump pump, and reimburse me for a new mattress.

Definitely threaten withhold rent due to uninhabitibility, and depending on what your lease says, move out if the problem is not resolved within a timely manner. They’ll have to deal with this issue whether it’s with you or a new tenant, so that should light a fire under them. And don’t get into WHY it’s leaking – whether it’s the roof or an upstairs unit. It’s leaking, and they need to fix it, period. You’re paying for a safe place to live, and right now, you are unable to fully enjoy that space. In hindsight, I should’ve pressed for more damages, but I was a new college graduate at the time and wasn’t fully aware of my rights. Good luck!

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or