Trip to Malta

Home Forums Travel and Transportation Trip to Malta

Topic: Trip to Malta

Travel and Transportation June 12, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Trip to Malta

Has anyone in PoPville ever traveled to Malta? I’ve always been very curious about it and would love to hear any thumbs up/thumbs down reviews. If you have been there, which beach/hotel would you recommend? Or was your trip by cruise? Would appreciate any details you might have. Thanks to all who reply! 

6 Replies Add Reply

I went to Malta a few years ago. I stayed in a hotel in Sliema and took day trips around. I didn’t do any beaches (might have been a non-beach time of year), so I can’t help with that. Although not the most exciting place I’ve ever visited, it was a pleasant trip. I’d have to dig back through my travel stuff and get in touch with my travel companion to come up with more details/specifics. If it’s a place you’ve always been curious about, I think that’s reason enough to check it out. But then again, I’m up for traveling just about anywhere just because 🙂  

I was actually looking into going a few years ago, but never did.  I was really interested in checking out Gozo, one of the smaller islands.  It seemed a little more off the beaten track, but since they speak English, not too stressful for me travelling by myself (I was looking for a relaxing getaway).  Malta’s also easily accesible from several major European airports with EasyJet, RyanAir, and other budget airlines, so it might be cheaper to buy the tickets seperately.   The New York  Times has several, though dated, articles on Malta.

I visited in 2001 — my then boyfriend is Maltese.  Lovely country — much like Italy.  Took his family’s boat to Gozo as well. 

My family went for New Years 2008-09 (I think). It was a quiet time of year and not really beach weather. My sense is that a lot of British people have vacation houses there so it wasn’t very busy. We stayed at a big resport on the Eastern side of the island, forget the name, but it was OK. The main town of Valetta is really nice to walk around and we did a day trip with our rental car on the ferry to Gozo. It is more “off the beaten path” than the island of Malta, but I don’t know if I’d want to stay there with so many ancient ruins and cities to visit on Malta. It was different than I expected, but a nice trip for a week.

I went to Malta a few years back on a whim for a week. It’s sleepy, but the people are wonderfully nice. English isn’t a problem–the rest of Europe sends their children there to learn the language. Sliema was where I crashed, went to Gozo with the friend’s family. You’ll have a great time if you’re the type to have a great time anywhere you are, if you’re looking for the standard Europe-y wonder, maybe just go to one of the big attractions.

A word of thanks to all of you for sharing your input on Malta. I’m happy to say that I’ve made up my mind and I’ll be headed to Malta (among other destinations) in September. I really appreciate the time you all took; I’m really looking forward to the trip!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or