Telephone scam alert

Home Forums General Discussion Telephone scam alert

Topic: Telephone scam alert

General Discussion August 7, 2012 at 12:26 am

Telephone scam alert

I’ve gotten two calls on our landline from a woman claiming to be from ADT and offering to enter me into a contest to win a free ADT home security contract.  She asks “Do you currently have a contract with ADT?”  We already have a contract, but I’m sure she would have loved to find out if we didn’t. She even asked if it was active.
I’m sure the scammers are using other security companys’ names in addition to ADT.  Very creepy to think that someone’s just going through the telephone book and finding out which addresses might be easier targets for break-ins.   
Apologies if this has been covered previously in the forum, but I did a search and didn’t find anything.

3 Replies Add Reply

If you haven’t done so already, you should consider filing a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. You can do so online at:
You can also register for the do not call list on that site, so that if you do get solicitations like these, they can be fined heavily (if they catch the culprit). I’m pretty sure ADT wouldn’t call you not knowing you’re already receiving their services.

My general principle is that every single person that I don’t know personally who calls/knocks/emails/flyers is the enemy at the gates out to scam me.   No one in govt. cares or has the resourses to do anything.

This person called my landline too (we do have an active security system). *69 indicated the calls were coming from a gas station in Columbia Heights, I believe. So yes, obviously a scam.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or