Tailor recomendation to alter a bridesmaid dress?

Home Forums General Discussion Tailor recomendation to alter a bridesmaid dress?

Topic: Tailor recomendation to alter a bridesmaid dress?

General Discussion June 11, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Tailor recomendation to alter a bridesmaid dress?

I’m in a wedding at the end of July and my bridesmaid dress just came into the shop we all purchased through up in NY where the bride got her dress.  I was under the impression that I could take it to the Alfred Angelo store in Springfield to get altered but after calling I was informed that since I didn’t buy it through them they will not alter it (it’s an Alfred Angelo dress).  So now I’m hoping for a recommendation for a good tailor.  Any suggestions?

5 Replies Add Reply

I’ve used Cheryl Lofton, (http://www.cheryllofton.com/home.html) for a couple of important social dresses. Overall, I think she does a really good job.

this may be a hike… but I used Angie C  for my wedding dress alterations (I bought a sample dress so didn’t want to pay the bridal shop altering fees) as did my bridesmaids. She is really really inexpensive and does awesome work.
12129 Queens Brigade DriveFairfax, VA 22030

Sammy Lee at Capitol Hill Tailor Shop was fantastic. I also took a bridesmaid dress here and to fix the hem on a chiffon dress and take off a strap, it was $60. Others on Yelp have complained that he was expensive but I felt it was reasonable given the material he was working with.
615 Pennsylvania Ave SE
(between S 6th St & S Seward Sq)
Washington, DC 20003
Neighborhood: Capitol Hill/Southeast
(202) 543-9292

Go to Angie Kim at Barr Cleaners in Farragut Square. She is an incredibly skilled seamstress and an absolutely lovely woman. I brought her a… shall we say ‘difficult’ dress once. It had a spaghetti strap halter on the top with boning throughout the bodice. The dress was designed for someone with no curves and just hung off of me so there was so much strain on the neck strap that I broke out into hives. She took the dress completely apart and reshaped the boning to fit my more curvy figure, all for only $30. It fit like a dream and I was comfortable dancing all night. I could not have been happier. She’s the only tailor in the city that I’ll use now.

I can’t recommend Armene from Cobblers and Cleaners (http://www.yelp.com/biz/cobblers-and-cleaners-washington) highly enough.  I went to her a week before my wedding with my grandmother’s 55 year old wedding dress (that had been poorly restructured by a dress maker in virginia — stay away from Designs by Ramya!), and Armene worked magic in just three days.  I owe her my life!!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or