Suggestions for removing window tint?

Home Forums Auto Suggestions for removing window tint?

Topic: Suggestions for removing window tint?

Auto June 4, 2012 at 11:38 am

Suggestions for removing window tint?

I moved to the area from Florida two and a half years ago and just got pulled over today by a not-so-friendly Park Police for violating window tint laws. She pulled me over in the middle of Piney Branch Parkway, blocking traffic, JUST for the tint so I can only imagine they’re having to meet ticket quotas. Can anyone suggest a good shop to remove the tint or have a successful DIY method?
I’ve also heard that once the tint is removed, if I have an officer check the tint and sign off that it’s legal I can avoid the ticket. Anyone know if this is true?

3 Replies Add Reply

You need some new razor blades (not the style used in utility knives, but the kind meant for finger-held use) and some glass cleaner, like Windex, to scrape the tinted film off your windows.  Don’t use old or dull blades or you’ll scratch the glass.  I’ve done this before, and this is how it’s done in tint shops. 

I also needed to get tint removed for inspection for a new to me [used] car last year.  I asked some ‘car guys’ I work with and the agreement was that there was only one place to get any type of tint-related stuff done in the DC area and it was TNT Tint near the Home Depot in Alexandria.  I looked them up on Yelp and it’s probably the only business I’ve ever seen with 25+ legit 5-star ratings.  The main guy there had me in and out in 20 minutes and my car was back to looking normal.  For the life of me I can’t remember what it cost, so it can’t have been all that much.

i did this years ago to get my car registered in DC.  i just googled it at the time, and my recollection is that you sprayed some sort of cleaning product on the window, covered it with a black trash bag, let it sit in the sun for a bit, and then just peeled it off.  i remember it being really easy to do by yourself.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or