stray kitty

Home Forums General Discussion stray kitty

Topic: stray kitty

General Discussion November 23, 2012 at 5:53 pm

stray kitty

A stray cat has started coming to my doorstep. I can’t keep it. Does any know where i can take it or would anybody want it? The neighbors and I think it was left behind from a recently vacated house. Help me P.O.P community you’re my only hope…

7 Replies Add Reply

Call the Washington Animal Rescue League.  They should be able to help. 
http://www.warl.org/   Phone: (202)726-2556

I do not know why that did not work  it is just warl (dot) org

This happened to us, too, and we got some help from Four Paws Cat Rescue. There is a lady in the neighborhood who volunteers for them and she took him to the vet and they got him into their system and answered any questions we had. Now, we did agree to foster him (and he was featured here on PoP) and he got adopted a couple months later. There are very few foster homes available now so it’s not likely you’ll be able to get a rescue or no-kill shelter to just take him off your hands. But definitely call a local shelter or rescue to find out your options!

Do you have a picture of the cat?  Is it a male or a female?  It is housebroken?

Do you have a picture of the cat?  Is it a male or a female?  It is housebroken?

jh

#1 Is the cat eartipped? If so he is part of a feral colony 9or was at some point). Contact Humane Society’s CatNipp program, they run the TNR (trap nueter release) for the city. You need to figure out if this cat is feral, a socialized feral that can be re-homed, or a stray aka lost/dumped pet. A vet can check for a microchip, if it is possible that this is a lost pet.
#2 WARL is awesome, they can be of some help maybe with reading to see if there is a microchip (but you have to get the cat in there to thier clinic first), and for other advice. If this is a stray they’ll be looking for a foster home, and those are few and far between these days :(
#3 Four Paws, also awesome
#4 Capitol Cats, another awesome group
#5 And MOST IMPORTANTLY don’t just give the cat away to someone for free. You never know what they are going to be up to, strange hoarders or worse, and also, you need to check for a microchip in case this cat is really stray/lost. My cat and the cats I rescue and re-home are all chipped :) if they were lost and no one checked for a chip, we would never be re-united.
GOOD LUCK!!!

jh

Oh and AlleyCat Allies are a great resource too, for info!!!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or