Standard Business Hours for Outdoor Dining

Home Forums Real Estate Standard Business Hours for Outdoor Dining

Topic: Standard Business Hours for Outdoor Dining

Real Estate January 7, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Standard Business Hours for Outdoor Dining

Do any of you know if there are standard business hours for outdoor dining in a residential neighborhood? I live near 9th & V NW and have heard that Duffy’s is looking into doing an outdoor patio seating area. I think this is a great idea, but am concerned about noise. I know that Duffy will go to great lengths to keep the noise controlled, but I’m still apprehensive especially during the week.
Can anyone comment with some standard hours for outdoor seating? I’d like to know what to expect is coming. Also any other advice would be great!
Thanks!

5 Replies Add Reply

I suggest that you get in touch with your ANC Commissioner to ask these questions – they’ll know the answer to the question (or at least how to find out), and it is helpful for them to know that residents are concerned.  Otherwise they think no one cares. You can also call ABRA as this should be publicly available information. The information might be posted on placards outisde the establishment until the outdoor seating is approved.  
I’m not sure if there is a law governing the outdoor hours, but neighborhood residents can work together with the ANC and the restaurant owners and introduce neighborhood preferences.  In Adams morgan, I think they’ve been able to limit it to either 10 or 11pm.  On U Street, residents in some buildings have been able to introduce into a restaurant’s Voluntary Agreement that outdoor seating areas be shut down at 10pm, in the hopes of setting a neighborhood standard. 

No standard hours across the board in the city, but the east side of Dupont Circle has guidelines (not sure if they were approved) that calls for closing at 11pm Sun-Thurs and midnight Fri-Sat http://www.dupontcircleanc.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/ANC-2B-Proposed-Revised-Public-Space-Guidelines-Dec-2010.pdf . I’m betting you’d want something better than that, but it’s  a good ceiling to work with.

I just saw on the U Street Association that Duffy’s application for the sidewalk cafe is for 2am on the weekends and 3am on the week nights.  If you have any questions or concerns, you might want to go to their meeting tonight to find out more.  This is probably the maximum allowed, and they are asking for it.  It doesn’t mean they would have the cafe for those hours, but they could at any point. 

Thank you all for your comments. It is very helpful. I’ll definitely plan on going to the U Street Neighborhood Association meeting tonight, and definitely feel more prepared with some examples of house from other areas of the city.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or