Speed control around Grant and Sherman Circles

Home Forums Governement and Politics Speed control around Grant and Sherman Circles

Topic: Speed control around Grant and Sherman Circles

Governement and Politics January 9, 2012 at 11:52 am

Speed control around Grant and Sherman Circles

I’ve lived in Petworth between Grant and Sherman Circles for about 1 1/2 years now.  Love the neighborhood, but I am continually stressed by the speed of traffic going through our neighborhood streets and around the traffic circles.  Despite many complaints to various government officials (and I know I’m not the only one), I was dismayed when the city announced new speed camera locations and none of them included the two circles and side streets.  What gives?  I sometimes get the sense that someone in DDOT has a personal interest in maintaining the freeway feel of these streets, dispite the presence of families, children, schools, and pets.  Any thoughts from other residents about how to get the city to treat our streets as residential rather than freeways?  Any ideas on how to get speed cameras sited there?

1 Replies Add Reply

I can’t speak for Grant Circle, but I live right off of Sherman Circle. I guess I have two thoughts on this.
1) I definitely see people speeding in, around, and near the circle, but I don’t get the impression that the mix of traffic, families, pets, children, pedestrians, bicycles, etc. presents any particular problem there that isn’t also present in countless other neighborhoods across the city. In other words, I don’t see why government officials would necessarily be persuaded to put speed cameras there rather than anywhere else. This is not to say I’m okay with speeding in my neighborhood, I just don’t get the sense that it is worse, or somehow condoned by the city, around Sherman circle.
2) I have absolutely no problems with speed cameras and I would be just fine with it if they put them in my neighborhood. There are a couple spots where they would sure make a bundle of money, if nothing else.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or