Should I report a minor theft to MPD?

Home Forums Public Safety Should I report a minor theft to MPD?

Topic: Should I report a minor theft to MPD?

Public Safety July 6, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Should I report a minor theft to MPD?

I’m new to the district, moved here just this past April, and I have an apartment in Glover Park. In trying to reduce my landfill waste, I signed up for Compost Cab, which has been great so far. I put my bin out for collection on Thursday, they came by to pick up the compost and to replace the liner. The fresh bin was sitting next to my door when I returned home at 8:30pm Thursday night. I had too many bags in my hand to bring it in at that moment, and forgot about it until I woke up this morning. When I went out to retrieve the bin at 10am, it was missing. My landlord has not moved it, and it’s no where in the area. Last weekend, I would have blamed the wind, but it was still and quiet last night.
Compost Cab said it’s not the first time a bin was reported stolen or missing. The guy on the phone was great about the incident, very helpful, and I’ll soon be getting a replacement bin. I’m wondering if I should also report the theft to MPD. I know it’s just a bin, and in the grand scheme of things, it’s not important. I’m not expecting the police to recover the bin, or even to investigate thoroughly, but would this minor theft make any different to the crime statistics of the neighborhood? Is this something they should be aware of?

2 Replies Add Reply

I’ve had a few things stolen from my yard– a bike and my front gate– and I didn’t report them. I had a bad experience with the police when I had to report a burglary a few years ago, so I don’t want them to get involved with the small stuff. Most of them would prefer you don’t report little things like this anyway because it makes them look bad.

You should report these things. Otherwise the police will not know if it’s a rash or uptick. You can report minor property crimes online now so you if you feel the crime is too minor to call 911 but still want it on record, you can do it:,a,1242,q,568970.asp
I did it for a minor theft. It was easy and someone called me for additional information the next day.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or