Rottweilers on a Roof!?! Kenyon and Georgia Ave

Home Forums General Discussion Rottweilers on a Roof!?! Kenyon and Georgia Ave

Topic: Rottweilers on a Roof!?! Kenyon and Georgia Ave

General Discussion December 3, 2012 at 10:06 am

Rottweilers on a Roof!?! Kenyon and Georgia Ave

Yesterday at about 2:00 pm, a friend and I were driving westbound on Kenyon Street and as we crossed Georgia Ave, I looked up and saw two massive dogs (looked to be Rottweilers) standing on the top of a dilapidated storefront – yes standing on the roof.  The building was on Kenyon, on the north side of the street, right next to Morgan’s Seafood.  My immediate reaction was that the dogs were looking for a way down, as they were pacing near the front edge of the roof; however, my friend remarked that “maybe they were guarding something.”  Either way, it was really odd and somewhat frightening – there was no barrier to keep them from jumping/falling on the sidewalk and possibly injuring themselves or someone.  Has anyone ever written in/commented on this?  

5 Replies Add Reply

I’ve seen one of them up there before taking naps from time to time, but yesterday was the first time I saw two dogs. Very strange.They looked pretty happy yesterday, enjoying the nice weather. Not sure who owns the structure (I’ve always assumed it was part of Morgan’s) and I can’t say if they were my dogs I would allow them out there, but I guess it’s better than being strapped to the roof of a car? (sorry, couldn’t resist)

Why would you not call DC animal control? They could be in trouble and/or neglected .

“there was no barrier to keep them from jumping/falling on the sidewalk and possibly injuring themselves or someone.”  

Are you serious?  What will you tell animal control? “I am concerned that the dogs above Morgan Seafood are suicidal and might decide to jump…” Did you see any evidence of abuse or the dogs weren’t as secure as you would like?

I was walking my dog up Georgia on Saturday or Sunday and the two dogs started barking at her.  I was looking around for a dog at ground level, and was shocked to find the two dogs on the roof.  They seemed smart enough to know to not jump off the roof.  Very bizarre.

I’ve only been living on Kenyon for a few weeks, but I’ve seen them a few times.  Last Saturday on the way to the farmer’s market, we were passing them (with our own dog in tow) and a man walking the other way said that they’ve been part of the neighborhood for as long as he could remember.  He was not at all concerned that they were on the roof; seems they often are.  I’ve been by other times when one or both are up there, and they seem to just be taking in the scenery and doing a little harmless intimidation of passers-by.  They do look a bit on the thin side, but more from age than from neglect (their coats appear to be in decent shape), and if you stop and talk to them (from the street) they just become big slobering, wagging buckets of love.  Even my neurotic dog has gotten used to them being up there.  In short, I wouldn’t worry too much.  They certainly seem to be able to get up and down, and they appear to be taken care of.  If I ever see an indication otherwise, I’ll certainly call animal control.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or