Repair or Replace Porch Roof – Contractor Recommendation

Home Forums Home and Garden Repair or Replace Porch Roof – Contractor Recommendation

Topic: Repair or Replace Porch Roof – Contractor Recommendation

Home and Garden March 5, 2014 at 8:35 am

Repair or Replace Porch Roof – Contractor Recommendation

Hello Popville. I have a small front porch (64″ x 187″) with an old roof that has no gutter. Instead, it has an ineffective little trench scooped into it, attached to a tiny, always-clogged little pipe. The roof itself is old and most likely leaking, so there’s a good possibility that there’s some structural water damage.

I would like to repair the roof, recover it, and attach a gutter and downspout to a rain barrel (which I already have). I’m not sure who I should hire to do this, though. Is this a job that a handyman can do, or do I need a roofing company. Will a roofing company even do a job this small?

I have attached a photo of the gutter and some of the damage that makes me think I shouldn’t just slap some rolled asphalt on and call it a day.

Thanks in advance for any general advice or specific recommendations you can offer.

1 Replies Add Reply

We’ve worked with Tom Daniel (google thomas daniel roofing), he was referred to us from Fragers a year ago. Sandy did a number on our roof and apparently there were prexisting leaks that the previous owners “forgot” to mention. He was very professional, answered emails very quickly and could work on the roof w/o you being home (which is great for me and the husband since we both don’t get home until 7 pm at night). He would come out and do a free estimate, take photos of everything that was wrong and itemized the cost of everything. Before the winter, he sent us a reminder to do some preventative fixing on the roof (around $300)… his breakdown for our major roof problem was:
1. Repair leak in front of house near the hatch/trap door
2. Additional numerous repairs on flashing and other areas as necessary including the skylight and the eave (back) of roof near gutter on right hand side of house.
3. Clean off debris (leaves, mud, etc) prior to work – for aruond $1K.

4. Remove leaves, mud, etc from back gutter

5. Apply new coat of fibered aluminum coating

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or