Registering a Co-owned Vehicle?

Home Forums General Discussion Registering a Co-owned Vehicle?

Topic: Registering a Co-owned Vehicle?

General Discussion February 3, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Registering a Co-owned Vehicle?

Hi All,
I was hoping someone might be able to answer my random DC vehicle registration question. I am going to be registering my car in DC. My name is on the title, but so is my father’s name. My father lives out of state – in the Midwest.
 I know I need him to sign the Registration form, but does anyone know what else I will need? The DMV website says I need his valid photo identification – does this mean I need him to mail me his drivers license so I can take it in and then mail it back? I also read somewhere that he can just notarize a letter and send it? It isn’t clear to me at all.
Thanks so much for any input!

1 Replies Add Reply

you just need your dad to send you a copy of his drivers license and have him either fax you his written permission to register the vehicle in DC while you are at the DMV (this informal fax granting permission needs to have his signature on it), or yes, have him write out a statement granting you permission to register the vechicle in DC and have it notarized by someone and mail it to you and then you take it into the DMV. that’s it. an annoyance? certainly. i had to do it as well last July 2011, but the DMV representative i spoke to on the phone never told me about the written permission part until i was there and had waited forever. hopefully the DMV hasn’t come up with some new unposted rule that you will only find out about after you’ve waited in line for an hour. good luck!

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or