Recycling Non-Rechargeable Batteries

Home Forums Public Safety Recycling Non-Rechargeable Batteries

Topic: Recycling Non-Rechargeable Batteries

Public Safety April 24, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Recycling Non-Rechargeable Batteries

After looking into it, I think Radio Shack and Best Buy may only take rechargeable batteries for recycling. Does anyone have any othey good local businesses or recycling centers I can take a big pile of dead batteries to for proper disposal? Thanks!

5 Replies Add Reply

Fort Totten Transfer Station electronics recycling program.  I think it might be monthly or every couple of months.

Ace Hardware in Tenleytown takes all batteries.

That’s great. Thanks so much!

The Ace on P St used to take all batteries, but now they only take rechargable batteries. Since regular alkaline batteries don’t contain mercury anymore, you can dispose of them in the trash. It still makes me feel strange when I do it, but I haven’t been able to find a reliable place in DC to recycle them. Here’s some info from the Duracell site (take with a grain of salt)…
“Alkaline batteries can be safely disposed of with normal household waste. Never dispose of batteries in fire because they could explode.
Due to concerns about mercury in the municipal solid waste stream, we have voluntarily eliminated all of the added mercury from our alkaline batteries since 1993, while maintaining the performance you demand. Our alkaline batteries are composed primarily of common metals—steel, zinc, and manganese—and do not pose a health or environmental risk during normal use or disposal.
It is important not to dispose of large amounts of alkaline batteries in a group. Used batteries are often not completely “dead.” Grouping used batteries together can bring these “live” batteries into contact with one another, creating safety risks.
Proven cost-effective and environmentally safe recycling processes are not yet universally available for alkaline batteries. Some communities offer recycling or collection of alkaline batteries—contact your local government for disposal practices in your area.”

I spent a really long time researching this for my office recycling program. jd is right. There is is no economically viable way of recycling alkaline batteries. The only available service is to pay big bucks to ship them to a “recycling” center on the other side of the country where they are incinerated, which seems of dubious environmental value to me.
The only place in the region that provides that service is MOM’s Organic Market, so you can take your alkalines there if you really want to. 

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or