Recommendations for an adoption agency

Home Forums Children Recommendations for an adoption agency

Topic: Recommendations for an adoption agency

Children February 23, 2012 at 9:17 am

Recommendations for an adoption agency

So we’re starting to look at adoption agencies in the area for a domestic adoption, and we are getting a bit overwhelmed.  There are just SO MANY agencies around, and I honestly don’t know where to go.  Many have good reviews, and so I’m wondering if it’s one of those situations where we should just pick one and go with it.  I am hoping, however, that someone out there could give a recommendation of a good agency that they (or their family/friends) have had experience with.

4 Replies Add Reply

We adopted our sons through the PG County Department of Social Services. However, since we lived in DC, we had to interact with the DC Dept. of Social Services (or whatever it’s called now). Have you contacted them? Not sure if you’re looking to adopt a baby, toddler, or what, and it doesn’t really matter. Our kids were a little older and were in foster care, so we had to become licensed as a foster family first, but our situation was unique in that we already knew the specific children that we were adopting. Also, probably 10 or 15 years ago, I heard good things about an organization called Adoptions Together. We were/are a gay couple, and that was a group that would allow gay couples to adopt. Not sure that Catholic Charities does (I doubt it, but don’t know), but they are another group that may be a resource. I have no personal experience with either. If you want to talk about it more, get PoP to connect us.

Barker Foundation has a great reputation, but they are not really working with families on domestic placement/adoption  They are terrific for preplacement (homestudy, etc) but, they seem to have too many waiting families and not enought children in need of placement locally so they are telling families to seek another agency in an adoption friendly state like Texas, Florida, or South Carolina for placement. 

Adoptions Together is a great organization that is committed to connecting kids of all ages to permanent, loving families and then supporting families as they grow. They are gay/lesiban and single parent friendly and have been around for more than 20 years.

Thanks, all. I know it’s a long process, but I will hopefully provide updates. 🙂

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or