Pot Smoking Neighbor in a Non-Smoking Building

Home Forums General Discussion Pot Smoking Neighbor in a Non-Smoking Building

Topic: Pot Smoking Neighbor in a Non-Smoking Building

General Discussion July 3, 2015 at 8:26 pm

Pot Smoking Neighbor in a Non-Smoking Building

I moved into an amazing apartment in November that I love nearly everything about besides my next door neighbor. When I first moved in I occasionally woke up to a smoke smell in my apartment but tried to be tolerant. I’m new to DC and while my building (seemed to) have a very strict non smoking policy when I moved in, I knew that pot was legal and tried to ignore it.

It’s gotten significantly worse in the past few months, near constant, lingering smells of smoke that cause me to have headaches and wake up feeling sick. I started lodging complaints with my building manager in person and via email every time I smell the smoke and she actually knocked on his door a few times when she was here late and caught him in the act of smoking. It’s been a few months now, apparently he’s been to court once for this issue already and requested another trial so he’s still here, still smoking and I have no idea what else to do.

I’ve tried talking to him but I get nervous every time I touch on the topic (I’m a 22 year old women and he’s and older guy who I’ve often heard him yelling). My building manager keeps insisting that DC is very tenant friendly and it’s hard to evict people but what are my rights as a tenant? She told me to keep letting her know when it’s happening so she can continue to build evidence but is there anything else I can do? I understand it’s legal, I read DC law a bunch of times already but I moved to a non-smoking building intentionally and it’s already been months to get to this point so I worry about how long the next step of this process will take. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of issue? Thank you!

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or