Parking bike at DCA?

Home Forums Travel and Transportation Parking bike at DCA?

Topic: Parking bike at DCA?

Travel and Transportation October 4, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Parking bike at DCA?

I’ve got a 6 a.m. departure from DCA tomorrow (Friday) morning.  I was thinking about biking because I hate rolling the dice with finding a cab at 4:30 a.m., and I’m not sure whether Uber cars will be operating at that time.  DCA has bike racks:  Does anyone use these?  Is it a terrible idea to lock (cable and U-lock) my bike to one of these racks until Monday? 
Alternatively, does anyone have the number of a good cab driver who operates in the early morning? 

8 Replies Add Reply

Arlington Red Top – schedule online.  Since your destination is VA, they’ll pick you up in DC.  Very reliable.

I’ve used Mats a few times for the same reason–early pick-up and I didn’t want to gamble finding a cab/Uber. It’s $24 from anywhere in DC to DCA (or $62 to IAD).

I’ve used Yellow Cab via online scheduling – – for many early morning pick-ups.  The only incident I had was a late cab who did not know the closed routes during the Marine Corps Marathon.  Luckily I had the road closures and times and was able to navigate but I thought this driver or the cab company should have been up on this since it is nearly impossible to get from Dupont to DCA during the Marine Corps Marathon, even with scheduling my trip before the majority of the roads had closed.

SuperShuttle is reliable and will provide you with door-to-door service.

I know this is late and I hope you figured something out, but another option I have used is local hotels. Not sure where you live, but if you live near a hotel, that can be a good place to grab a cab. Even if there is not one there, they can call you one.

I’ve had good luck with Uber, even for early flights.  

Seconding the Red Top recommendation – never had an issue with them showing up on time, even for early-morning calls.  Usually they’re 5-10 mins early.

OP here.  Thanks for all the responses.  I realized that I could drive and park in the economy lot for $14/day (for 3 days) and it would be about the same cost as taking a cab there and back.  The shuttlebus added about 10 minutes to the process, but was just great.  I’ll do this again next time, or for longer trips try Red Top. 

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or