non-owner’s car insurance in DC

Home Forums Life and Society non-owner’s car insurance in DC

Topic: non-owner’s car insurance in DC

Life and Society December 4, 2011 at 10:41 pm

non-owner’s car insurance in DC

Does anyone know of any insurance companies in DC that offer non-owner’s car insurance? I don’t have a car, but I need insurance for when I want to rent a car. I use Zipcar for the 2-3 hours rental but   it get expensive for more hours and sometimes I need a car for a day or 2 on the weekend.
I have already called Geico and they said they dont offer that in DC but they do in VA.

6 Replies Add Reply

I have non-owner’s liabiity insurance from State Farm in Woodley Park

I have non-owner’s liabiity insurance from State Farm in Woodley Park

You may also want to look into coverage provided by your credit card… sometimes it’s really good.

I would recommend looking into credit cards as well. Mine offers coverage for rentals, however, it doesn’t offer liability insurance. Since I only rent non-zipcars maybe 6 times a year, tops, I was curious about non-owners insurnace as well. My only problem is, I don’t want to pay out the nose for it. I have State Farm for my renter’s insurance, so they are probably a good starting point. Bundling services tend to get you better prices for insurance.

I have a non-owners through Travelers. If I remember correctly, it’s less than $200/year. These policies generally don’t cover collision, so you’ll want to make sure you have some additional coverage for that. Regular credit card coverage doesn’t always suffice because it’s not primary insurance. I use AmEx premium rental protection. It’s $20 for the duration of your rental (even for multiple days). Between the two, I’m basically covered no matter what. It’s probably overkill, but better safe than sorry. The non-owners also supplements Zipcar’s insurance. Keep in mind that Zipcar is providing that coverage more for them than they are for you. If I recall, it’s basically the legal minimum.
Call Kristen Mentzer at Alliance Insurance 202-207-1085. (I’m in the process of switching my homeowners from AllState to Travelers and the savings more than covers the auto non-owners policy.) They are in downtown DC.

Disclaimer: I’m not an insurance expert–just someone paranoid about losing everything if I get into an accident.

Great! I will try satefarm and traveller. FYI, most insurance (almost All, I was told) provided by the credit card when renting a car does not cover liability. Unfortunalty AmEx premium which I own does not provide it either.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or