Need to install ventilation fan in bathroom – advice?

Home Forums Home and Garden Need to install ventilation fan in bathroom – advice?

Topic: Need to install ventilation fan in bathroom – advice?

Home and Garden August 5, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Need to install ventilation fan in bathroom – advice?

My condo has a windowless bathroom with no ceiling fan or ventilation of any kind. As you can imagine, the moisture has caused quite a bit of damage over the years. To prevent future damage and bring the bathroom up to code so I can rent my place out, a bathroom ceiling fan must be installed. There are no existing vents that the fan could connect to, thus a small opening will need to be drilled through my building’s brick wall to the outside.
I want to do this the right way but I have received conflicting advice about whether a permit is necessary. Two contractors have come out to look at the job and both told me that a permit isn’t required since this is an upgrade to bring my bathroom up to code. BTW, both contractors are licensed and experienced so I would expect they’d know what they’re talking about. I’ve been told by others that because the fan is new and a 3” opening must be made through the brick that a permit is required.
Anyone else have a similar experience? Is a permit required? At what point are you allowed to rely on the advice of an experienced contractor in situations like this? I am willing to go down to DCRA and apply for a permit myself but I wonder if DCRA will only issue a permit to the contractor. Licensed or not, this job is so small that I can see even a legit contractor jacking the price just for the inconvenience of having to get a permit. Any recommendations for other licensed contractors who have done a similar small job like this and got a permit without a hassle or charging a premium price? A 80 CFM ceiling fan, 3’ connection pipe, the vent hood and all other materials amount to less than $100 from Home Depot and would take a good contractor less than 2 hours to install, so I don’t want this to turn into some complicated and expensive boondoggle. [And btw, I’ve contacted the condo board about my plans and am fairly certain this won’t be a problem.]

2 Replies Add Reply

The first step is to ask the condo association for permission, with their permission the association usually have guidelines for any remodeling project (regardless the size)
If they say a permit is required (Since it’s their building) a permit is pulled under a home owners name not a contractor.

Hope this helps!

Amm, If your bathroom is at the center of house and there is so space for ventilation to through the air out from bathroom . then you have to use the chimney type row. If the bathroom is at the side of house, then its simple for ventilation. Make a big hole in wall of bathroom and fix with the help of home constructor.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or