Lost Bird?

Home Forums PoPville Lost Bird?

Topic: Lost Bird?

PoPville July 30, 2012 at 10:38 am

Lost Bird?

Hi all, 
I saw this little bird Sunday afternoon around 6th pl and Emerson NE.  It doesn’t look like it is local to DC, so I am guessing it could have been a lost pet.  I tried to call the Humane Society, but couldn’t get ahold of anyone. I also tried to grab it, but couldn’t.  Probably for the best because even if I could have, I’m not sure what I would have done with it. Anyway, I’m not sure this will do any good because birds have wings, and I didn’t see the little thing on the corner this morning, but I thought I would try to post and see if anyone was missing a pet, and possibly provide a starting point for their search.  

2 Replies Add Reply

I don’t know much about birds, but that looks like an exotic/pet bird to me — maybe a parakeet or budgie?
I looked at the Craigslist pets section to see if there were any corresponding listings for lost birds.  I didn’t see any, but you might want to check periodically at http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/pet/ .
There was a listing for a lost cockatiel that mentioned the following “things to do” if anyone saw the lost bird — if you see the 6th/Emerson bird again, these might be applicable (even if “responds to whistles” isn’t):
“[R]esponds to whistles. Please try to contain, entice with seeds, cover with towel & put in covered box.”

DC has it’s own orinthologist – maybe contact him through the dc.gov listing for district wildlife – he might be able to help.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or