Losing hope and frustrated

Home Forums Family Losing hope and frustrated

Topic: Losing hope and frustrated

Family October 17, 2012 at 10:38 am

Losing hope and frustrated

I could’ve coped in pasted but it seems more practical to just use a link.
I feel really bad right now, and I think I’m on the verge of hurting myself I can do is pray right now.

7 Replies Add Reply

I wish I could help on the housing front, but while your housing situation may be somewhat out of your control, your mental health isn’t.  Hurting yourself because of your living situation is not an option and will not solve anything.  Please call one of the phone numbers here: http://www.suicidehotlines.com/distcolum.html and talk to someone trained to help.

Get on craigslist, check the sublet/temp housing and shares listings, and start calling. For example, this looks great: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/apa/3334761051.html . I would jump on it. If worse comes to worst, you can always stay in a motel for a couple of nights. You have the power to change your situation – if you start calling places today, I bet you can be in a new place by the weekend.
Praying is nice, but action is better. If your situation is that bad, just pack your bags and leave.

ag11 and anongardener have provided some great advice:  take care of yourself and start replying to housing ads.  I would add only that when you are communicating with people about their apartments/rooms for rent, don’t get into the back story about why you are moving.  If you have to say something, just say that your current housing situation isn’t working out and leave it at that.

Check local listservs (you have to join first though) and post that for what you are looking for.  I see ads for rooms or apts. almost daily on Tenley and Cleveland Park listservs.  Also, call a social services crisis line and tell them what’s going on or NAMI and see if they can link you up with some ideas.
I’ve been in a similar situation and that has helped me a lot more than craigslist which can be overwhelming for both sides of the rental situation.

You need to contact a social service agency right away.  A local church, the Salvation Army, Catholic Charities.  Sorry – but must be honest to really help you – no one in any affordable & decent housing/share situation will want to take you on.  Even if you leave out your troublesome current family situation – it will be obvious that there is some desperate situation.  Do you really need to be in this area?  It is one of the most expensive places in the country.  Do you have any friends or family in less expensive areas? 

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or