Landlord Raising Rent

Home Forums General Discussion Landlord Raising Rent

Topic: Landlord Raising Rent

General Discussion August 10, 2015 at 4:19 pm

Landlord Raising Rent

I needed some advice on something. My landlord has raised our rent from $2600 to $2750. I went to the Office of Tenant Advocacy and their site says, “the most common allowable increase in rent is an annual adjustment, based on the increase in the Consumer Price Index (CPI). For most tenants, the most that their rent can increase is the CPI percentage plus 2 percent, but not more than 10 percent.” There is more info in the below link.

I called up the office and they said CPI for 2015 is 1.5%. If this is the case, my landlord can only raise my rent by $91. Am I missing something?

2 Replies Add Reply

My understanding is that the building has to have four or more units and must be built before 1975 in order for rent control to apply.

Does your building meet the description?

More info is here:

After doing a little more research and calling OTA I realized I wasn’t in a building with rent control. I assumed that a landlord could only raise rent by a certain amount, regardless of dwelling. Not sure why I thought this was the case, but I’m in the wrong and landlord is in the right.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or