Landline phone service in Petworth?

Home Forums PoPville Landline phone service in Petworth?

Topic: Landline phone service in Petworth?

PoPville April 25, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Landline phone service in Petworth?

Does anyone know which companies provide landline phone service in Petworth? As far as I can tell, the options are Verizon (FiOS digital or standard), RCN, Comcast. I’m basically trying to find out what is the cheapest, easiest landline option that’s not bundled with tv or internet.
I’ve tried to gather as much info from the web as possible, but I haven’t found anything cheaper than $30/mo which seems like a lot for basic landline phone service (except Verizon standard, but a non-Verizon option would be preferred). Any info would be much appreciated.

7 Replies Add Reply

Probably POTS from Verizon.  I think you can get barebones local service for ~$10/mo + tons of taxes and fees.  If you have internet service, you could do something like Vonage.
Where are you in Petworth that FIOS is available?  I don’t think it’s availability is very widespread in Petworth… I’ve been waiting for years!

Best value for a Home Phone Line is Verizon Wireless – that’s right “wireless”. There are two plans available : for Verizon Wireless customers its $9.99 per month for an unlimited plan; for non-VZW customers, its $19.99 per month for an unlimted nationwide calling plan.
Call or stop by the Wireless Zone at 427 8th St SE and ask them about the “Home Phone Connect” services.

I have unlimited local calling from Verizon — no long distance, no call waiting, no voicemail, etc. — for something like $21 a month including taxes and fees.

You need to bite the bullet and call Verizon.
It’s been awhile since I was in the market, but ask about “message rate” service. It might not be on the website, or its buried because they want to sell you a more expensive bundle. I live in VA, but used to have this. Basically it was a plan where you paid a monthly rate and had X # of local calls included. Over the limit, there was like a 5cent per call charge or something. I figured that for me, if I made 3 calls or less per day, it was cheaper than going with the unlimited service. If you don’t make a lot of calls, something like this might be the best.
The DC Public Service Commission probably has info, or you can call and ask.

Verizon and they’re horrible.  Added all kinds of services I did not request to my first bill and then had to call twice to get them removed ($7 a month to insure my phone?!).  Wouldn’t have it except for the security system.  

Thanks to all for the responses. I was asking on behalf of a neighbor who didn’t have any phone service at all, but in the end one of his relatives came round and got him a cellphone. So problem solved.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or