Ladies: need a recommendation for dress alterations

Home Forums General Discussion Ladies: need a recommendation for dress alterations

Topic: Ladies: need a recommendation for dress alterations

General Discussion January 10, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Ladies: need a recommendation for dress alterations

I have a few vintage dresses that I need altered so that they can fit they way they are SUPPOSED to fit, but admittedly I have never had anything tailored to my bod except for a bridesmaids dress.  Can anyone recommend a place (preferably around Adams Morgan/Columbia Heights) that does decent alterations and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg?  Cupid Cleaners is nearby but I’ve heard mixed reviews.  And since these dresses are one of a kind (for me anyway) I don’t want to go somewhere that’s going to mess it up or do a half assed job.

5 Replies Add Reply

I went to Cheryl Lofton & Associates based off Yelp reviews and had a pleasant experience. Granted it was only for a bridesmaid’s dress, but they did a good job and it was ready on time. I expect it’s fairly standard pricing for alterations.

I went to Hope Cleaners at 24th and M ST. for alterations on a taffeta dress I wore for my sister-in-law’s wedding and was extremely pleased in the finished product.  It took a 3 days to have it altered and cleaned and came out to around $25-30ish dollars, not including the cleaning.  The best part was that they had a small dressing room to change in.  (BTW: They also do shoe repair! It is inexpensive and well worth the money to save a favorite pair of shoes)

Gingerroot design!
I had a very complicated gown that needed extensive tailoring and they handled it professionally and quickly.  They’re two fun funky young women that love making and selling interesting clothes and I loved working with them.  
Not cheap but totally worth it.  I’m taking my next gown to them next week!

Definitely Cheryl Lofton & Associates & 8th & U. She altered a gown for the inauguration and also did a bunch of uniforms for me. Highly recommend. This is a real sewing shop, not a dry cleaner who does alterations.

At the risk of too much self-promotion (but I love working on vintage):
My name is Billie Meyer, and I’ve done tailoring and custom work for over 30 years, and lots of work on vintage clothes and costumes….I moved to the Petworth/Brightwood area and am interested in getting a few more clients, especially in our neighborhood! I am meticulous and creative, and do most fittings in your home…. have lots of local references of course.  [email protected] for more info.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or