Jamaican Meat Pies in Dupont?

Home Forums Food and Dining Jamaican Meat Pies in Dupont?

Topic: Jamaican Meat Pies in Dupont?

Food and Dining July 25, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Jamaican Meat Pies in Dupont?

I have been jonesing for a real Jamaican meat pie lately.  Not empanadas.  Are there any places in Dupont that sell them?

5 Replies Add Reply

They’re generally called “Patties” 🙂 Your best bet is to go to Patty Patty Boom Boom byt 14th and U street (if you’re lucky and they’re open at the time). Their patties are the closest and most authentic near to dupont. If you want real jamaican patties (Beef, Chicken, Veggie) You’ll have to check out Georgia Avenue, specifically Sweet Mangos or Negril, but these days I prefer Caribbean Mart in Takoma Park, MD, their Calaloo patties (spinach basically) are to die for.

Thanks.  All of those are a hike, though. There was a deli in my building long ago that had awesome ones…haven’t found any that good anywhere in the area since they closed.  Not sure why I’m wanting them…just one of those cravings that pops up now and then I guess.

If you were getting them from a deli, they were probably Tower Isle or Golden Krust. Both of those brands can be found in grocery stores like Giant.

Negril over near Howard U has wonderful beef patties!!!  I know you want Dupont but I don’t know of any in that particular neighborhood.

Don’t you know? Washington is a very strange city for shopping and dining (although better now, it’s still pretty lame) – especially considering that it’s the capital.
Patty Boom Boom has excellent meat pies ( U St @ 13th). But I’m pretty sure they’re not open all the time and are closed on Mondays or Mon & Tues – definitely closed on Monday.
Also excellent – Teddy’s Roti Shop Georgia Ave @ Geranium. 
Yeah, yeah, yeah – you’re in Dupont. Well perhaps 20 years ago a Caribbean meat pie shop could have afforded the rent in Dupont but those days are long over. Now it’s all corporate same same same which has totally ruined Dupont imho.
And anyway, PBB is what 1 mile away? Teddy’s is 4.5 miles. I can bike it in 25 minutes. Or take the train to Takoma (25 mins from Dupont) and then it’s a 10 min walk to Teddy’s or catch a bus from the station to Georgia Ave. 
Sadly, this is DC and for most things you will have to travel for what you want. Often to Virginia or Maryland for ethnic better than what’s available in DC. In other cities you would rarely have to travel to the suburbs for good food/ shopping. But this isn’t NY or Philly or San Francisco or Los Angeles or Chicago and never will be no matter how hard it tries. 

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or