Is anyone else having problems with squirrels eating their Christmas lights?

Home Forums Public Safety Is anyone else having problems with squirrels eating their Christmas lights?

Topic: Is anyone else having problems with squirrels eating their Christmas lights?

Public Safety December 14, 2012 at 10:19 am

Is anyone else having problems with squirrels eating their Christmas lights?

TT

We put up our Christmas lights (including two brand new LED strands which were not cheap) on our front porch last weekend.  I came home from work on Wednesday evening to find that one side of the porch was not lit – I figured one of the fuses blew and planned to check it later.  But when I came home last night, none of the lights were working.  Upon further investigation, I noticed that the wires had been cut/chewed in around 10 different spots.  I am almost certain it was the squirrels (I regularly see 4-5 on our porch and our neighbor’s when I leave in the morning).
We put up lights last year (although, not as many) and didn’t have this problem.  Our next door neighbor’s lights weren’t working either last night.  Our neighbor a couple doors down, however, has had hers up for a couple weeks now without any apparent problems.
Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone have a solution??

3 Replies Add Reply

I had this problem. It’s unpredictable: one set of lights the squirrels ate twice, another they never touched, though they’re the same type of lights. After splicing the wires back together I covered the entire string with electrical tape, hoping the squirrels found it less delicious. So far so good, and it’s been a year.
BTW if you want to splice yours back together you might want to use self-sealing silicone tape – it makes a watertight seal.

My theory on this is that the squirrels think the lights are nuts.  I’ve found the lights, with bits of wire attached where they were bitten off, buried near by the light strands.  The more the lights look like nuts – like that blue bulb shown in your picture – the more the squirrels attack.  I haven’t found a succesful solution short of armoring the wires.  Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Cayenne pepper. No, seriously. I have had the same problem with squirrels on my porch digging up the plants. I was tempted to go buy a bb gun to shoot the little futhermuckers. Then one of the guys at work told me about cayenne pepper…seems to work because they don’t like the taste. The only problem is my porch smells like an italian restaurant!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or