Input on Rent for Basement Apt

Home Forums Real Estate Input on Rent for Basement Apt

Topic: Input on Rent for Basement Apt

Real Estate September 21, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Input on Rent for Basement Apt

Hello –
I’m in the process of converting my basement into a rental unit and want feedback on what would be appropriate to charge. It’s a legal 1 bedroom/1 bath apt that’s about 700 sq ft and includes the following amenities:
– Located 2 blocks from Petworth metro station – Separate entrance and exit – Separate ADT home alarm – Washer/Dryer in unit – Dishwasher – Central A/C – Access to patio and vegetable garden – Zipcar next door – Free WiFi – Free cable TV – Free Water (electricity not included)
I know the picture doesn’t do the apt justice because of all the tools and stuff, but I wanted to give you a sense of the space. Let me know what you would pay/charge for this unit.

9 Replies Add Reply

Based on the location, free utilities (except electric), renovations, etc, I’d say $1300-$1500 a month. 

I’d start at $1,400 and see how much response you get, if it’s lukewarm drop the price. I recently rented my newly renovated basement studio three blocks from the Petworth metro for $1,175 utilities/wifi included, and my neighbor rents his one-bedroom basement for $1,300.
Mine: 600 sq foot studio, rear entrance to alley, full kitchen no dishwasher, full bath w tub, separate laundry room shared with rest of house, 7.5 foot ceilings, access to gardens etc.

What is the ceiling height?

Nikkimann & Dat – thank you for your comments.
The ceiling height is 7ft.

I concur. I rent out my newly renovated basement (approx same size and amenities) with utilities/wifi included for around $1300. Could get more, but want to keep tenants for more than 1 yr. 

I’d recommend $1,500/month at least (utilities not included). I rented my basement apartment in that area for $1,300 in 2005 not including cable. It did have a kitchen though.

Oh geez! I forgot to mention that it has a full kitchen. Glad I’m vetting this with this audience before I post on  Craigslist.

Hmmm…I tried to add a picture of the kitchen but that didn’t seem to work. Let me try this again.

I would post at $1,300.00.  If people love it – they will offer more.  But you will be happier with a happy tenant who appreciates a fair deal.   I rent out my 850 sq. ft. legal, 9 foot ceilings, AC, zipcar, cable, wireless etc. garden, patio & parking space, 2 blocks to CH metro for $1750.00.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or