I need a poker expert

Home Forums Books and Literature I need a poker expert

Topic: I need a poker expert

Books and Literature January 18, 2012 at 11:41 am

I need a poker expert

I’m finishing edits on my newest novel and need a poker expert to help me figure out a couple of things.  Specifically, ways someone might “steer” a game in order to purposefully loose to another – unsuspecting – player.  (And this is in 1867 – so think traditional poker games – draw, stud etc.)  I’ll happily buy the beers if you want to chat.

2 Replies Add Reply

folding on good cards isn’t enough?

Best way would be to trap a player between you. If the person you want to win has position and somehow you know you have the best hand, and a player between you and the desired winner has a hand good enough to call one bet, but not two, and the person you hope wins most has a raising hand that yours beats, you could bet, get the middle caller, then when the person you want to win raises, you simply call rather than reraise. The person in the middle will then call one more bet.

Do this for as many street as you can keep the middle person in, then fold before showdown. Would be easier to do this in Draw than in Stud, since your board would be visible (People would know you were conspiring if your board looked stronger than the other guys and you mysteriously folded on 7th street after leading out on all the preceeding rounds.)

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or