How to deal with noisy neighbors?

Home Forums Home and Garden How to deal with noisy neighbors?

Topic: How to deal with noisy neighbors?

Home and Garden April 3, 2012 at 1:53 pm

How to deal with noisy neighbors?

I have new neighbors (they moved in a few weeks ago) and they are very noisy. Kids in their teens/early 20s who converge with their buddies on the back porch, on the front porch, late into the night, and the rest of the family doesn’t seem to care. Can anything be done? I’ve had almost no interaction with them since they moved in. Options I’ve considered include yelling out the bedroom window when they’re out there in the middle of the night, stopping by the house during the day, bringing them “welcome to the ‘hood” cookies first and then telling them they need to curb the partying, and calling the police on them.
I am unconfrontational by nature, unfortunately, but it’s really bad. I’d rather not create enemies, though – we have to live next to each other, after all. If you have experience with successful strategies, I’d love to hear them…

4 Replies Add Reply

Yelling out of the window at night is a non-starter.

Probably the best way to start would be to go over there during the day, introduce yourself to the parents, and nicely tell them that they might not realize it, but the sound carries very clearly at night from their place to yours, could they please try to keep it down after 10 pm, etc., etc. If the noise still keeps up at night, you could try going over there to the front door and asking if they could keep it down. Ideally this woud result in waking up one of the parents who would take our their crankiness on the kids instead of you. You could try calling the police after that, but I’m not sure what the threshold is for a noise violation, and you’ll probably permanently damage the relationship with your neighbors. Otherwise, shut your windows, use earplugs, and hope that they move away soon.

I’m sorry that you have to deal with this. I wish people believed in doing neighborly things, like keeping it down at night.

I have a similar problem with the kids who congregate on the corner across the street. Unfortunately, their parents live in a large apartment complex and there is no way I could ever find them. (I also have my suspicions that if the parents allow their kids to scream on the corner past midnight on a school night that they just plain wouldn’t bat an eye if I did talk to them.) Now that the months are getting warmer, I am despondent over the fact that I won’t get a good night’s sleep unless it is raining until it gets cold again.

DC has a noise ordinance. If this is happening between 10 PM-7 AM, call 911. MPD will respond, probably give them a verbal warning although it is an arrestable offense if they do not comply. You can remain anonymous.

Yeah, the DC noise ordinance law supposedly became way more aggressive early last year. Unfortunately when I had serious problems with the fraternity kids next to my building, which included them dropping beer bottles off the roof deck onto my back walkway, blasting music ALL night, nonstop screaming, the police were really no help at all. I realize it’s a low priority item for them, but these situations can get very stressful. They will eventually come out, so it’s probably worth calling anyway. Talking to the kids doesn’t seem to help much. They will just tell you what you want to hear and go back to doing what they were doing when their friends show up. I hammered at the management company and owner of the property they rent from. It took many attempts but eventually the management finally gave them an ultimatum. It was so bad, it ruled my life for a number of days each week and all weekends till 3 or 4 a.m. It’s so nice to be able to live a normal life again. Don’t just hope it’s going to go away, it’s not going to ruin their lives to tone down their behavior. Get in touch with everyone involved and let them know there is a problem. You should not have to use white noise, earplugs, soundproofing etc. to enjoy your house. 

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or