Has anyone changed their phone/internet from Comcast to Verizon, but didn’t have the correct wiring?

Home Forums General Discussion Has anyone changed their phone/internet from Comcast to Verizon, but didn’t have the correct wiring?

Topic: Has anyone changed their phone/internet from Comcast to Verizon, but didn’t have the correct wiring?

General Discussion December 11, 2012 at 10:26 am

Has anyone changed their phone/internet from Comcast to Verizon, but didn’t have the correct wiring?

I am trying to change my phone/internet from Comcast to Verizon. Verizon took the order. They said I didn’t have the connection for cable, which was fine since I had Direct TV. The technician came out, but said that the building was not wired for Verizon phone and we needed to hire an electrician to get the necessary wiring. I live in a condo in a rowhouse Columbia Heights, and I am likely the only one in the building that is changing.
Has anyone else run into this? How much do electricians cost? Any other advice?

1 Replies Add Reply

It’s surprising that there’s no wiring for phone. I assume you confirmed this? (i.e. no phone jacks anywhere?) If so, a few thoughts:

1. You could go with FIOS (DSL is implied in your post, since you need phone lines for DSL); I believe they pull it into your house through cable, and then there’s a vonage-type VOIP device that would connect from their modem to your household wiring. You could just put a cordless phone there instead.

2. You could run the wiring yourself. It’s not too hard, depending on whether your network interface device (NID) is accessible, where you want phone jacks, and how ambitious you are. Buy CAT5e cable ($20 / 100 ft @ Home Depot) and use that. I did this; ran a bunch of new lines + ethernet + hooked into the old phone lines. That kind of ambition takes time, but a basic jack or two isn’t too hard. If you’re going for something complicated, I’d highly recommend getting a punchdown tool and using modular jacks.

Finally, Verizon definitely won’t touch the inside the house stuff. They take it up to the NID. So they’re playing straight with you as far as it goes. Still tough to believe that there’s no phone wiring, even in new construction.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or