H St NE trolley tracks and bike accidents

Home Forums Public Safety H St NE trolley tracks and bike accidents

Topic: H St NE trolley tracks and bike accidents

Public Safety April 3, 2013 at 4:08 pm

H St NE trolley tracks and bike accidents

About two weeks ago I was riding my bike on H St. NE near 6th St and my wheel got caught in the trolley tracks and I flew over the handelbars. It was a pretty hard fall — some good samaritans were walking near by and helped me up and got some ice as I recovered my wits. Just want to throw out a thank you. The arm ended up being broken and is now in a cast for about 2 months.
Also, does any one know if the city is going to actually put a trolley on the tracks? If so, it would be great to add a separate bike lane or something. Those tracks are a huge danger to cyclists and I hear that lots of riders have had problems there. The “Caution Cyclists” signs are a joke and probably aren’t going to keep riders off H St NE.

5 Replies Add Reply

I’m sorry about your accident. The tracks are definitely dangerous to cyclists; however, as a resident of the neighborhood, I never ride on H for this reason. You should ride on G St going West and I St if you’re going east. These are great alternatives for cyclists. I don’t think there are any plans to put bike lanes on H, but I do think G and I are slated to get them eventually.

I’m not trying to be a smart ass, but it isn’t hard to avoid the tracks. I ride H all the time, and without incident. There is plenty of space to ride between the tracks. When turning, just make sure not to ride over the tracks at a sharp angle/ parallel to the tracks.

Same thing happened to me! The tracks are just the right size to catch a skinny tire. They’re tricky to deal with. I thought I was being safe until the moment I had to swerve to avoid a car. My wheel caught in the track and I went flying. My arm and leg got all scratched up but somehow I didn’t break an arm. Those tracks are a menace and should be covered until when/if the city ever gets a trolley.

I don’t have information but I just wanted to say that the same thing happened to me last week. I really hurt my right arm, but luckily no breaks. I was also right at H and 6th! I didn’t get any good samaritans though…

Uhhm, why do you say the signs that tell you to be cautious are a joke? Trolly tracks right there are just the begining of the challenges with lots of street parking and car doors opening, etc. Seems like there are good alternatives to riding on H Street. And, I am very sorry about your arm for real. I’ve been in casts, and they are no fun at all. 

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or