ground-level deck, building code, inspection

Home Forums Home and Garden ground-level deck, building code, inspection

Topic: ground-level deck, building code, inspection

Home and Garden May 14, 2015 at 2:09 pm

ground-level deck, building code, inspection

I’m trying to convince myself that I could install a small ground-level deck in my backyard. I.e., a wooden deck that essentially rests on the level ground (on buried concrete anchors) and has it’s deck surface only 8-12 inches above ground level. A call to the DCRA Homeowner Center suggests I buy a survey drawing on which to indicate where the deck would go, and then also provide a drawing detailing how the deck would be built, and they can issue permits. I began tip-toeing into DC building codes just to make sure I addressed things, like how deep to bury concrete pilings below frost line, what size 2x boards to use, etc, but quickly got beaten down. I welcome any wisdom in terms of how to best find all the info I need so I can make sure to check all the boxes and build this thing that seemed fairly straightforward until I called DCRA. E.g., can I avoid putting rails and stairs since it’s so low to the ground? Many thanks.

1 Replies Add Reply

Did you ever get any guidance on this? I’d like to construct something similar in my yard but couldn’t get any clear guidance from the DCRA on whether or not a permit is required. In my case the platform would be temporary and would sit on paving stones elevated slightly above a gravel section.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or