Getting a basement apartment licensed

Home Forums Shopping Getting a basement apartment licensed

Topic: Getting a basement apartment licensed

Shopping January 25, 2013 at 10:07 am

Getting a basement apartment licensed

Hello all –
I have a friend who has a basement apartment in their house.  They want to rent it out and declare the rental income, and would like to get a legal C of O. The work was done up to code, but they didn’t pull permits for replacement of bathroom fixtures (no rerouting of plumbing lines, but a new toilet and tub, for example, no new electrical).  What is the procedure for this?  Is there someone who can guide you through the process?
Also, does it need to be officially registered with the city to declare the income? And do the utilities need to be separately metered?

1 Replies Add Reply

Check out thoroughly, especially the comments.  You can also go in person to the DCRA office.
Utilities do not have to be seperately metered, but each unit has to have their circuit breaker accessible to them.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)


Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or