Furnace and HVAC work in an old house

Home Forums Home and Garden Furnace and HVAC work in an old house

Topic: Furnace and HVAC work in an old house

Home and Garden December 19, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Furnace and HVAC work in an old house

Popville –
Does anyone out there have experience working with a furnace and venting system in an old house?  We have a small row house with the furnace and water heater in the kitchen (in a closet) and no crawl space.  We need to do significant repairs or replacement of the furnace plus fixing the venting system to make it all safe and up to date.  Has anyone delt with a similar issue?  Does anyone have a furnace or HVAC company to recommend?  We would love to hear your recommendations!

5 Replies Add Reply

I have had very good service from James A. Wheat and Sons. They replaced my furnace, replaced gas lines etc. in my row house in Mt. Pleasant.

I don’t have any experience with older heating systems, but I had good service from James A. Wheat and Sons replacing the HVAC system in an apartment (heat pump and inside air handler).

I worked with my father in-law on the HVAC system in our house and he is excellent, but from way out of town so can’t help you there.  I can tell you with a good deal of certainty though, if you are replacing duct work and installing a new furnace/air handler/compressor…etc…it is definitely going to be in the $18,000 range to pay someone for a new system.  It gets real pricey real quick.  We totally ripped out the radiator’s in our house and hand built the duct work and installed it so it fit nicely into floor joists and duct shaft and didn’t take up a lot of square footage/nor lost overhead ceiling height.  Most of the problem you will find is actually fitting in the right size ductwork where it is unobtrusive/not unsightly all the while still giving you the max amount of air handling/heat load (such as venting over the windows where you need it the most – due to heat loss).  We placed our hot water heater in the attic (sounds crazy I know) which was a “tank-less” water heater.  Therefore you don’t have any leaks/bursting problems because the water heater only has water in it when it’s actually doing it’s job and heating it.  It’s fairly small and fit into a good spot in our attic.  The Renai’s are nice.  It’s a lot of work though.  It took me and my father in-law about a month to install it all in multiple trips.  He also had a helper too from time to time.  You will definitely need to rip open walls if you are changing where you want the vents too.  Takes some time…

I second the recommendation of James Wheat and Sons.  I had them in to correct a code violation with my heating system (furnace return duct actually in the furnace room) and to shore up my attic’s shodding duct-work prior to blowing-in insulation.  The were the 8th contractor I called.  Many didn’t want the job, some never responded, and two tried to pull a bait-and-switch on the scope of the work.  James Wheat got the job done, and our house now has much better temperature regulation as a result.

try the cheapest <a href=”www.cssheating.com”>furnace installation vancouver<a/>

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or