Free legal clinic on pensions, 401(k)s, other retirement plans

Home Forums Events Free legal clinic on pensions, 401(k)s, other retirement plans

Topic: Free legal clinic on pensions, 401(k)s, other retirement plans

Events August 5, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Free legal clinic on pensions, 401(k)s, other retirement plans

The Pension Rights Center is holding a free legal clinic for D.C.-area residents on Wednesday, August 12, from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at our office at 1350 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Suite 206. We are conveniently located next to the south entrance of the Dupont Circle Metro station and on several bus lines.

The focus of the clinic is retirement plans — traditional pensions, 401(k)s, and other employer-sponsored plans. If you or someone you know is having trouble getting a pension benefit, this clinic is for you. Experienced pension attorneys will be available to meet one-on-one to answer questions such as:

— Did I earn a pension from a former employer? If so, how do I claim it?
— I am certain that I qualified for a pension at a job, but the company says that I didn’t (or they say that my pension is much lower than I expected). What can I do?
— My contributions to my 401(k) plan haven’t been showing up or take months to show up. What are my rights?
— How can I get my retirement plan to respond to my inquiries about my benefits?
— My pension plan overpaid me for several years. Now it says that I have to pay back the overpayment all at once. What can I do?
— Will I get benefits from my spouse’s pension when he/she dies?
— What happens to my pension or 401(k) if I get divorced? If my spouse has a pension or 401(k), what are my rights in divorce?

The clinic offers legal counseling, not financial advice, and all services are free and confidential. Getting help from a pension attorney can be difficult and costly, so this clinic is an opportunity to get expert legal assistance at no cost.

Advance registration for the clinic is strongly encouraged, though walk-ins will be accepted until 7:30 p.m. You can register by calling the Pension Rights Center at 202-296-3776, Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., or by e-mailing us at clinic(at) Registering in advance will shorten wait times and give us a better sense of how many people to expect. We recommend that you bring all relevant paperwork –- documents related to your pension plan or 401(k), correspondence you might have had with your plan or employer related to your problem, documentation of employment –- with you to the clinic. This information will help the attorney understand your case.

The Pension Rights Center is a consumer organization founded in 1976 to protect and promote the retirement security of American workers, retirees, and their families. One of our primary goals is to ensure that people get the retirement benefits that they’ve earned. We coordinate a network of regional pension counseling projects that provide free legal advice to anyone with a question about their retirement plan. Unfortunately, neither D.C., Maryland, nor Virginia is covered by one of these projects. The August 12 clinic is our first attempt to correct that. If it is successful, we hope to be able to offer it on a regular basis in the future.

If you have any questions about the clinic, please call us at 202-296-3776 or e-mail us at clinic(at)

You must be logged in to view attached files.

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or