Electricity Service Provider

Home Forums General Discussion Electricity Service Provider

Topic: Electricity Service Provider

General Discussion July 31, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Electricity Service Provider

My husband and I are purchasing a house in Petworth (closing in a couple of weeks) and we’re trying to get everything in order before moving in. I read on Pepco’s website that you are able to select your electricity service provider. There are quite a few listed and our knowledge about these companies is very limited (as is our time to research each one). Is it better to select one than just to go with the default (Pepco)? If so, we’d really preciate any suggestions. 
This is from the Pepco website:
The Choice Is Yours
The restructuring of the electric utility industry allows you to select the electricity supplier that best fits your needs. If you don’t choose a supplier, Pepco buys electricity for you and charges you according to rates approved by your state Public Service Commission. This is called “Standard Offer Service” (SOS), and appears in the Generation Services Energy Charge portion of your bill.
…Pepco continues to deliver the electricity to all customers, no matter who they choose as their supplier.

6 Replies Add Reply

The DC public service commission has good resources on choosing a supplier, how to compare rates, and the suppliers available in DC that they have approved.  dcpsc.org/Electric/index1.asp
With suppliers you are typically locked into a rate for a 1 or 2 year term and with Pepco prices change every June and November based on the market cost of electricity.  The best thing to do is take a look at the suppliers available and then check their websites for current pricing options as compared to Pepco’s SOS rate.  There are definitely rates available that are lower than Pepco’s, just watch contract agreements for cancellation fees, price increases, etc. 

I use Next Era which is part of FPL. The rates are a little lower and i guess its slightly cleaner energy. It shows up on my pepco bill and I got a 50 dollar gift card for signing up.  I just use budget billing, though, to make sure I keep the same amount every month.

We use Clean Currents. When we signed up, I believe the rate was actually cheaper than Pepco’s standard supplier rate. Plus it’s 100% clean. http://www.cleancurrents.com/index.php/your-home/90-your-home-new

Heard good things about clean currents. We went with Washington Gas Energy Services (WGES). They have a 100% wind offering that’s competitive with Pepco’s standard offer. 1 year commitment. We also went with them for gas. Ironically, cheaper than going with the standard Washington Gas.
Worth highlighting that you are stuck with pepco for delivery, and that’s why you get their bill (with your “supplier” nested within it.) It’s astounding to me that we pay Pepco about as much for “Account fees” / meter reading / in city distribution as we pay for generation and long haul transmision (yeah, we don’t use much electricity). Even in the “competitive” market Pepco found a way to take its rake.

I use Constellation Energy and I like it. I don’t know if it’s clean though.

Washington Gas Energy Services (WGES) supplies electricity and natural gas through Pepco and Washington Gas (the natural gas utility), respectively, at a lower price.  Here are the numbers:
Electricity  –  Pepco is charging DC residential (schedule R) customers 9.98 cents per kWh for the electricity supply portion of their service.  WGES supplies it through Pepco for 7.9 cents per kWh.
Natural Gas  –  Washington Gas now charges DC residential customers 68.78 cents per therm for natural gas.  WGES supplies it through Washington Gas for 57 cents per therm. 
To enroll, get your Pepco and Washington Gas bills and go to http://www.wges.com .  You will WGES’ promotional code to get the prices quoted above.  Here it is!  Where it asks “New to WGES?  Enter your promo code here” enter code EAHOME-EA1016  .  This brings up WGES’ promotional price offers.
If you enroll with WGES, Pepco will continue to deliver your electricity, respond to issues, and do the billing as before – but will bill you for your electricity at WGES’ price rather than at Pepco’s higher price.  There is no service interruption.  Nothing is connected or disconnected. 
The same holds true with Washington Gas if you enroll with WGES for your natural gas.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or