Dubious parking violation left on visitor’s car

Home Forums General Discussion Dubious parking violation left on visitor’s car

Topic: Dubious parking violation left on visitor’s car

General Discussion February 1, 2016 at 11:05 am

Dubious parking violation left on visitor’s car

As you can see in the picture, a visitor of ours (with non-DC license plates) got a ticket on their car with the following violation:

PO53 parking violation “less than 3 feet from vehicle”

It was left by a police officer, not a parking enforcement official if that makes any difference.

1. We looked this violation up in the DPW manual, which says “we do not enforce this violation”. Perhaps this is meant to suggest that if we challenge the ticket, their should be no issue in getting it dropped but by this exact wording, I take it to mean that they shouldn’t be ticketing people for this violation.

2. If I understand correctly that they’re not supposed to be enforcing this violation, can this be seen as anything but an attempt to get money from an out-of-state visitor (who is less likely to challenge a ticket)?

3. The violation itself doesn’t even make sense. How can one tell which vehicle is the perpetrating vehicle that parked within three feet of another? Also, I’m sure this three feet rule is regularly broken with D.C. street parking as tight as it is.

Does anyone else have any experience with this type of violation? I’m hoping that there is no issue when we challenge it but it bothers me that this even happened. I understand that the occurrence of officials trying to charge baseless tickets is not a groundbreaking realization but what surprises me is the lack of any iota of defense for this ticket.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or