Dog breeder suggestions

Home Forums Other Dog breeder suggestions

Topic: Dog breeder suggestions

Other December 10, 2012 at 10:48 am

Dog breeder suggestions

Does anyone know a reputable breeder to purchase a dog in the DC area? (I would love to adopt, but need a hypoallergenic dog, which we have been unable to locate in a shelter.)

4 Replies Add Reply

What breed are you interested in? I would suggest a poodle.

Before buying, look for a breed specific rescue. There is one for almost any breed. That way you can get the breed of dog you are looking for and save a life. They can be found by googling the name of the breed plus the word rescue or searching at: http://www.akc.org/breeds/rescue.cfm. The adoption process at many of these organizations can be laborious but it is worth it and it is the right thing to do. If you feel you MUST buy a dog (and there is no real reason you must) only select breeders listed on the AKC website, and then be sure to look for licensing and animal welfare violations at http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_welfare/

Visit the breeders home, meet the mother, make sure she is well cared for and a part of the family – reputable breeders do not keep their dogs outside! Ask to see veterinary records for both parents. Make sure all the puppies look healthy and if you get a bad feeling about anyone or anything – do not proceed. And last but definitely not least, reputable breeders do not advertise sell their dogs at pet stores, 100% of those dogs come from puppy mills where the breeding dogs are treated deplorably and the puppies are often very sick.

I got a Lagotto Romagnolo for the same reason (had to be hypoallergenic).  Adorable, good natured dogs.  There isnt much of a breed rescue network because there are just a few breeders in the country.  Contact Martha Schneider on the Eastern Shore.  She breeds Portuguese Water Dogs too.  She likes the Lagottos, and I agree with her, for city life.  She wont let you buy at all if you live in a condo/apartment.  The price for a pup is steep, but consistent with how much hypoallergenic dogs typically are.

If you know what breed you would like…looks into whether they have a rescue program. I know lots of people that got their purebred from the specific breed’s rescue organization i.e. Golden Retriever rescue, etc.

Lots of people think they are ready for a dog (especially puppies) then realize that they weren’t prepared or are allergic etc. and these organizations will take them in and foster them or adopt them!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or