Do I need a permit in DC to install my own water heater?

Home Forums Home and Garden Do I need a permit in DC to install my own water heater?

Topic: Do I need a permit in DC to install my own water heater?

Home and Garden January 16, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Do I need a permit in DC to install my own water heater?

There’s been talk about permits and inspections.  Not sure if this only applies to plumbers or to everyone.  DC gov website is no help.  Does anyone know??

4 Replies Add Reply

Yes, per DCRA rules. According to what one DCRA employee told me, you need a permit to swap your toilet.
But why would you ever go to them unless you thought they would catch on and fine you?

Permit requirements are specified in the Construction Code.  A link to the current code is here:  http://dcra.dc.gov/DC/DCRA/About+DCRA/DCMR+12+Building+Code+Regulations+(2008)
If it’s a plumbing permit that’s needed, DCRA will only issue permits to a licensed plumber (so, a homeowner could not pull his/her own plumbing permit).  Had some huge headaches with our renovations on this.  We ended up pulling permits for our renovations, but I have friends who did not.  

You need a permit for everything. You need a permit for …
“Erection of 1 Christmas tree stand on private property.”, “Repairs of front porch”, replacing a plumbing fixture, CCTV cameras, putting in any dryer or cook stove.
You also need a post card permit for repairing a fence, although the “list of things you can do without a permit” says you don’t. Go figure.

You need one for anything to do with gas. And you almost certainly are supposed to get one for this, especially if it’s a forced hot water or steam system. Given the ridiculousness of the permits required and if you have the necessary expertise … good luck!

i did it wo a permit.  just see how the old one was installed and reverse it. you can use shark bite fittings if you dont like to mess with the soldering.
dcra are a buch of morons and a waste of time. 

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or