Home Forums Real Estate Deanwood?

Topic: Deanwood?

Real Estate April 21, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I’ve lived in DC for about 2 years now and want to buy. My realtor wants to show me some homes in Deanwood. I’ve never thought about east of the river but he says it’s “up and coming”. I wasn’t sure, but the houses are listing for $250k. Not just listing, but selling! What’s up with that? Is there something going on over there???? Should I give it a shot?
PS. Let’s not make this a race issue, I just want to know if the area is a good look and will it get better soon enough for me to make a life investment.

7 Replies Add Reply

The houses there are beautiful and it may be up and coming…but I think it still has a long way to go.  If you look at the crime stats, they are pretty high (especially for violent crime).  I guess it depends your level of comfort…you may as well look and see how you feel about the house.

I looked at that area before I settled for Eckington. Sure, some of the houses are gorgeous but there’s nothing else there. Also, you may want to read this:

I was thinking the exact same thing this weekend while looking at listings online. Such lovely homes…..with lots of bars on the windows. I know that many folks on PoP have pioneered other areas and I would be interested in what the tipping point for a particular neighborhood for them was. I feel like there is a certain critical mass of folks investing in other neighborhoods, so newer residents have resources (and each other) to rely upon. I don’t get that sense with areas east of the river, but, yeah, why not?

I have friends in that neighborhood. Nice houses, nice people, also, some problems with teenagers.
Reminds me of Petworth 20 years ago, but with fewer businesses, more residential. That is, it can be a lovely place to live, but it can also be a pain in the ass to have to go elsewhere to shop, to eat out, etc.
Get to know the neighborhood and decide if it’s the kind of place you want to live.

I like deanwood, but like others said it depends on your level of comfort.  I think you would also need a car because it is far from everything and their is a lot of weekend construction on that metro line.  As an aside:  I would caution those who use words like “pioneer” when describing moving into an “up and coming neighborhood” to stop.  It is very derogatory.  We are not discovering unchartered territory.  Every neigbohorhood you move into is a community existing without you.

Ah, yes. As one who used the term previously, thanks for pointing that out. I had not even stopped to consider how that word is derogatory – and I agree that it is.
Thanks too for the reminder that it’s not always about me accepting a community, but whether the community would accept me.

I looked in Deanwood this weekend and it was kind of suburban. I felt like I was in another state. But I also saw a home off Benning Road and Minnesota Ave. by East Capital St. That was more my style, a row home and nice yard. Any thoughts on that area? It seems more close than Deanwood. What is that area called anyway? Thanks for any and all help!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or