Deanwood – Up and coming?

Home Forums Real Estate Deanwood – Up and coming?

Topic: Deanwood – Up and coming?

Real Estate August 2, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Deanwood – Up and coming?

I’m buying in DC and have seen a lot of cute homes listed in Deanwood, near the Minnesota Avenue train. I know it’s a “dangerous” area and kind of a commercial desert, but I was wondering if anyone knew of real invesment that is happening in the area in the next 2-4 years. I am seriously considering buying there because the prices are right, but I’m concerned about the lack of amenities. I know no one can predict the future, but I guess I’m just looking for some signs. Thanks.

2 Replies Add Reply

I live in Capitol View, which is a neighborhood just south of Deanwood near the Benning Road Metro station. My husband and I bought a nice home there about a year and a half ago and love it. It’s true that that area of the city is lacking in some amenities (at least compared to Capitol Hill where we used to live), but it us just a short trip to Capitol Hill, H St, or Prince George’s County for coffee shops/movie theaters/more grocery store choices. The new development at Minnesota and Benning, plus the new library/rec center, will and are making the neighborhood nicer. I work on Capitol Hill and the 15 to 20 minute bus commute was a big selling point for us. There is talk of the street car coming over the river there as well, which would be a nice addition.

I would just suggest you see the houses, walk the neighborhood and see how you feel. You’ll be able to tell if you could feel good about living there. Don’t buy for some future time when you think the neighborhood would be nicer; buy if you like it now, but the neighborhood is someplace that is growing and changing in mostly good ways.

Ditto on the “don’t buy for some future time.” Neighborhoods change, but so do markets. I bought a coop unit near the Ft. Totten metro 7 years ago when the plans for the new retail and arts development near Ft. Totten, Riggs and S. Dakota Ave were being planned for construction “in the next few years.” Because of the market crash that retail is only just getting built now, right as I’m trying to sell it. So I never go the benefit of nearby retail, but the next people will. I don’t regret it because it was very afforable so close to the metro (couldn’t find that anywhere else), but I couldn’t count on the neighborhood changing fast as I wanted it to.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Reply to this topic

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. or